NON MJ QUESTION,97 zj tranny problem

smithe1811

my wife's 97 zj if the problem child here. i got it from a friend who had the tranny rebuilt a couple of years ago and then let the jeep sit for quite some time. so now when you put it in drive and step on the gas it moves very sluggish at first then picks up, thought it was low on tranny fluid but i was wrong, if i actually put the tranny in 1st and step on the gas, it doesn't move at all. so my question here is what could this be, is it as serious as a "new" tranny? or could it be a bad band? something just gummed up? any input would be great. 97,4.0,4x4, not sure what model tranny it is, sorry.

Erik

Are any other gears problematic? From what I understand about the operation of an automatic (I still haven't gotten one apart yet), that band wouldn't be used for only first.

That's about all I can offer though, the experts will have to chime in.

nope, its only first gear that has an issue. i posted this on the NAGCA forum and no one has even looked at the thread so ole reliable CC.Com is my only hope here, aside from a transmission shop......I'm not goin down that road until i have a bit more info.

Here is the diag page from the FSM:

ANALYZING ROAD TEST

Refer to the Clutch and Band Application chart and note which elements are in use in the various gear ranges.

Note that the rear clutch is applied in all forward ranges (D, 2, 1) The transmission overrunning clutch is applied in first gear (D, 2 and 1 ranges) only. The rear band is applied in 1 and R range only.

Note that the overdrive clutch is applied only in fourth gear and the overdrive direct clutch and overrunning clutch are applied in all ranges except fourth gear.

For example: If slippage occurs in first gear in D and 2 range but not in 1 range, the transmission overrunning clutch is faulty. Similarly, if slippage occurs in any two forward gears, the rear clutch is slipping.

Applying the same method of analysis, note that the front and rear clutches are applied simultaneously only in D range third and fourth gear. If the transmission slips in third gear, either the front clutch or the rear clutch is slipping.

If the transmission slips in fourth gear but not in third gear, the overdrive clutch is slipping. By selecting another gear which does not use these clutches, the slipping unit can be determined. For example, if the transmission also slips in Reverse, the front clutch is slipping. If the transmission does not slip in Reverse, the rear clutch is slipping.

If slippage occurs during the 3-4 shift or only in fourth gear, the overdrive clutch is slipping. Similarly, if the direct clutch were to fail, the transmission would lose both reverse gear and overrun braking in 2 position (manual second gear)

If the transmission will not shift to fourth gear, the control switch, overdrive solenoid or related wiring may also be the problem cause.

This process of elimination can be used to identify a slipping unit and check operation. Proper use of the Clutch and Band Application Chart is the key.

Although road test analysis will help determine the slipping unit, the actual cause of a malfunction usually cannot be determined until hydraulic and air pressure tests are performed. Practically any condition can be caused by leaking hydraulic circuits or sticking valves.

Unless a malfunction is obvious, such as no drive in D range first gear, do not disassemble the transmission. Perform the hydraulic and air pressure tests to help determine the probable cause.