Max spring height on shortarms

I've got a set of 5.5" coils to soon go into my '88 MJ, anybody else go this high without going to a longarm setup? I won't be using any drop brackets, just longer LCA's and, if I can get away with it, stock UCA's.

The rear will be SOA so hopefully it will sit level. Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

I went with 4.75" of lift in front with my old XJ with stock control arms and the axle sat about 2" back in the wheel well. I got tire rub at full turn of the wheel with 32x9.5 Swampers. Also the XJ didn't flex that great up front. I ended up replacing the CAs with longer ones. With 5" I would say spent the extra $$$ and get the longer arms. If you do get arms get the adj. arms. They flex better and you can use them when you decide to lift higher.

I got mine here... good price and good quality.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com

I'm going to build longer lower control arms to get the stock caster setting, and to get the wheelbase back out to where it should be. Hopefully I can get away with stock uppers, if not, I'll build some of those also.

I'm mainly looking for experience with tirejacking or other negative side-effects of having this tall a spring on a shortarm setup.

Will 33"s fit with 5.5" of lift, or will trimming be needed? Or should I stick with 32"?

yeah I'm running 5.5" RE coils and 6" Rustys upper & lower short arms no drop brackets, it's hopefully just a stepping stone until I can get some Claytons LA's but it rides OK.

the 5.5" coils match SOA (on ford 8.8 ) just about perfectly

34x10.50 LTB's with front flares removed and fenders trimmed past 'crease'...rear was fine with stock flares and minor trimming

• 1 month later...