WTB: Rear Brake Backing Plates - '88 Dana 44 (S.W.Fla.)

spence

Bought an '88 Dana 44 for my 2WD '88 Eliminator to replace my crunched 35. Sandblasting revealed holes through the backing plates (driving on the beach only LOOKS like a good idea), so I've been looking everywhere for replacements. Does anyone have a pair left over from a disc brake conversion, maybe?

Did you try the D35 (86-89 non-c-clip style) backing plates?

Non C-clip D35's had 10"x1.75" brakes,

XJ & MJ D44's had 10"x2.5" brakes.

It was a long time ago, on another board, but someone posted they were able to use the 10"x1.75" backing plates on a D44 with the rest of the 10"x2.5" brake parts & drums.

I did not try it myself, or even see pics of it done,

but it always stuck in my head that atleast one person said they did it.

Try at you own risk, etc etc.

Thanx for the quick reply, jpnjim. Originally, that's what I had planned to do. However, when I got the D44 home and side-to-side with the D35 (mine had the 10" x 1.75" brakes), I noticed that the backing plates on the D35 were thinner (width) and the recesses (where the shoes and hardware are mounted) were shallower. I was going to dismantle the brakes on the D35 tomorrow, so I'll go ahead and try reassembling them on the D44 and see what happens. It would be great if it works, as the D35 plates are in perfect shape (168,510 miles and still have the factory paint on them! Only in Florida!). I'll post the outcome on the tech forum, so everyone else can know.