no power motor swap?

i have the 2.5l in my mj and it just doesnt have power i have to down shift going up big hills anybody know if its worth borring out or how hard it would be to put a 4.0 in it and would i need different transmision and does anyone have a 4.0 laying around for sale or ill wait till summer and hit up a u pull

I think the most cost effective way , is to find a doner XJ , with the HO 4.0 . Newer model with the fuel injection is

what I would do . Swap everything from the 91" , and up , from a clean XJ . You will need a stock MJ drive shaft ,

or cut down a XJ . Not sure on the the drive shaft lengths ?

If you have an '87 or newer MJ (I don't ever recall you mentioning what year you have), the best bet would be finding an XJ with a 4.0 and swap EVERYTHING over. This does include the ECU, wiring, motor, transmission, sensors, etc. Also, if you have a 2wd and want to do a 4wd conversion, a 4wd donor XJ would be a perfect opportunity to get that accomplished as well, as long you either took both axles out of the XJ, found an XJ with the same gear ratio as your MJ already has, or are willing to regear either the front or rear axles. Anouther thing worth noting, if you have a D35 rear end and find an XJ with either a D44 or a ChryCo 8.25", they are both worthwhile upgrades.

so your saying swap all the wires drive train axels everything?

Yes sir ! I agree with the above , also try to find an XJ with either track lock or a towing package , you'll find better drive train

components that way . Thats how I got my Dana 44 .