Things I have learned.

Automan2164

• 1 year later...
I was thinking about this today, while under a plow truck, dripping cold salt water into my face. Feel free to add on anything you wish. Or if one really speaks to you, tell which number, and post up why. Things I have learned while working on vehicles:

1. Anything and everything when dropped topside, will fall to the geometric dead center of the floor under the vehicle.

2. Cut ends of zip ties in a pinch, are used by surgeons who need something sharper than a scalpel.

3. If it touches salt, its gonna rust.

4. Rust does NOT go away, unless you cut it out.

5. When it doubt, ask someone else. It is a guarantee that they will come over, and find the problem almost immediately, and make you look like a bloomin' idiot.

6. If you're under a vehicle, with all the wrenches you need, fate will create a bolt you've never seen before, and make you get back up to get the only wrench you knew you didn't need.

7. When laying on a creeper, your pantlegs will become water seeking devices.

8. If it's on a plow truck, no matter how new it is, or how much you coated the part with anti-seize before, it ain't coming out or off without the torch.

9. To everyone but the mechanic, grease zircs are just for show.

10. If you drop anything topside, and it doesn't fall on to the floor (see note 1), it will find a fan shroud, lower radiator support, skid plate, frame rail, or black hole to fall in. Usually whatever is hardest to get to.

11. Try as you might, there are some things you can't do without an extra set of hands.

12. The test light is more suited as a tool for smores than modern cars.

13. The moment you start grabbing a wrench, and try to give a bolt the gusto, you are signing your knuckles up for a cage match with the hardest object within reach.

14. If you are using a grease gun, no matter how careful you are, will find grease on some ridiculous area of your clothes later.

15. It could be the most common part in the world, but when you need it, parts stores in a 100 mile radius will be magically out of stock.

16. If it's a deal too good to be true, there's a reason why no one else has taken it.

17. Never EVER say, this is going to be easy. Because the universe hears that, and it won't be. Rookie mistake. (Say that near me, and it also a good way to invite a thrown wrench.)

18. An aluminum rim will gather scale on the bead faster than you can say scale.

19. Blood, sweat, or tears, you will leave at least one, and you don't get the pleasure to choose.

20. No matter how clean you try to keep the garage, resistance is futile.

21. If you set it down, and say "I have to remember I set this here" is a good way to never see it again.

22. Electric fan blades are a close second to number 2.

23. If you want a vehicle bad enough, god will let it show up in the hands of someone who trashed it, and wants too much.

24. An unlocked tool box has tools that grow legs.

25. Leaks will appear as if they come out of no where.

26. Boots double as slag magnets.

27. Shorts, although comfortable in the summer, have no place in the shop.

28. Do a side job as a favor once, is like giving your money to a crackhead. It only starts with one, and before you know it, everyone and their momma wants a handout.

29. Never, EVER work on something the owner has tried to fix themselves... Unless your pay rate involves something with the word "thousands" in it.

30. Comancheclub is king. :D

Well, I have to take a break from that... It took me about 3 hours of watching TV and sitting on the couch. I just wrote them down as I thought about them. Lets make this thread copyright of comancheclub.com. ;)

Whew... That was a lot of writing. image_209027.gif

Rob L.

31. If you get everything put back together with no problems and starts and runs right the first try, then you forgot something on the inside that is going to show up farther down the road.

Rob, That avatar is uh,,er,,uhmm, ahh mesmerizing.

From my grandpa (PaPa), "Don't believe none of what you hear, and only half what you see". Orphaned in the 20s, homeless in the depression, his mother died from an uncontrollable nose bleed of all things in the back of a wagon, his father later died trying get a wagon across the swollen Colorado River in TX, he was the meanest and hardest man I ever met, he didn't take #*&% from anyone.

Iraqi Proverb, "Don't shake a stick at the shepherd".