Mechanic called today

Lenard

just got the call, he has my motor torn apart, and said all bearings look basically brand new, so i won't change any of them, but he said the timing chain all but fell off when he went to take it apart :eek: so just the pump, seals and chain and sprocket will get replaced. jamminz.gif

I can't wait to get it back, may be out tomorrow

well i was going to cause i figured they were worn out but since they don't show any wear i can save some money and not do them, and because they are in perfect shape I'm kinda scared that if it gets jacked with and replaced that it will go out soon. i don't know why i just have that feeling :brows:

Strange,

the 4.0L's I've torn down were all pretty hard on bearings,

even an 80k mile Renix I had been saving was showing copper in the center of the bearings.

If there's no reason not to trust the guy, and he says it's OK, I'd go with it. :thumbsup:

Strange,

even an 80k mile Renix I had been saving was showing copper in the center of the bearings.

Ditto. And conversely, it's rare to see a timing chain go. I replaced the timing chain in my '88 XJ at somewhere around 210,000 miles as a pre-emptive strike. The old one was as tight as the new one, but as long as the engine was open I went ahead and installed the new one. Turns out my concerns were based on a false premise. The cam sprocket in the AMC V8s I used to race had nylon teeth that would wear down and allow the chain to jump time. I foolishly assumed that the 4.0L engine would be the same. Imagine my surprise when I got it open and found a steel sprocket.

Dummy. :doh: :dunce: :grrrr:

Strange,

Ditto. And conversely, it's rare to see a timing chain go. I replaced the timing chain in my '88 XJ at somewhere around 210,000 miles as a pre-emptive strike. The old one was as tight as the new one, but as long as the engine was open I went ahead and installed the new one. Turns out my concerns were based on a false premise. The cam sprocket in the AMC V8s I used to race had nylon teeth that would wear down and allow the chain to jump time. I foolishly assumed that the 4.0L engine would be the same. Imagine my surprise when I got it open and found a steel sprocket.

Dummy. :doh: :dunce: :grrrr:

kinda strange, mines backwards :D but yep they are the original bearings, also said my RMS was completely gone, he asked how i was able to keep oil in the engine for more than an hour :yes: i only put a quart in a week.

kinda strange, mines backwards :D but yep they are the original bearings, also said my RMS was completely gone, he asked how i was able to keep oil in the engine for more than an hour :yes: i only put a quart in a week.

Think how much worse it might have been if you had started the engine and driven it :banana: