Rear Shattered

After a weekend of wheeling, my D35C is no more. From reading on here and google it seems my two best options are a D44 or a Ford 8.8. A few unanswered questions:

If I get the 8.8, what do I do with the lever attached to the 35 that tells how much braking to give it? Don't I need some sort of calibrator for converting to disc rears, wouldn't it just be worth finding a drum 8.8? I know I have to reweld the perches, not a problem. But does this have any real benefit that a D44 doesn't have?

D44 is just drop in (with the right gear ratio), correct?

Finding a D44 from a Comanche will be difficult. If you are fortunate enough to find one from a Cherokee, you will still have to relocate the spring perches.

Don't overlook the Chrysler 8-1/4 axles out of Cherokees. The later model ones (1997 thru 2001) are 29-spline axles that are very nearly as strong as a Dana 44, and they are the correct width for a Comanche. With a Ford 8.8, you have to run either aftermarket rims or spacers.

All XJ axles need to have the perches relocated. XJs had the springs over the axle, MJs had the springs under the axle. Also, the center-to-center distance is different for the XJ, so even if you were doing a spring-over-axle conversion using an XJ axle you would have to move the perches. The ONLY direct bolt-in axle for an MJ is from another MJ.