1988 MJ 4X4 CONVERSION

Gotta do an automatic trans 4x4 conversion on my 1988 auto trans 2x4 MJ. Need to know what Jeep models and year ranges I need to be lookin for as a doner.

(In case it makes a difference, my truck has bucket seats and center console)

Thanks in advance.

Robert

I believe any XJ/MJ donor from '87 to '90, would be a bolt in drivetrain... I am unaware if the HO conversion in '91 brought any changes in trans sensors... But I know '91+ have electronic speedos... so some things are different, but for bolt in, keep it renix.

'87-'90 MJ/XJ/XJ Wagoneer.

Rob L.

Thanks for tha reply Bob. Tell me, how hard is it to pull the in-dash 4x4 display and install it in my 2x4 MJ? (although there's a place for it, I assume my 2x4 dash doesnt have tha display or tha wiring for it)

Thanks again.

Robert

Everything on the Jeeps is plug and play. Put in your conversion, and just install a bulb. Most likely, your cluster just never came with the bulb in it. SO once all of your 4x4 stuff is in do this:

Remove the bezel from around the dash

2 Screws over the cluster, 1 over HL switch, 1 over cig lighter.

Gently un-snap the bezel, and remove it towards yourself.

Remove the 4 screws around the cluster, on the blue tabs.

Remove the 2 screws on the left on blue tabs by the message center.

Rock out the cluster slowly, there will be 2 connectors to pull out, and a speedo cable.

Remove cluster.

And it all your looking to do is change the bulb, you should be able to get to the bulb without undoing the harnesses and speedo cable.

Rob l.

Thanks for tha reply and info. However .......... I'm a little confused on your reply of "just install a bulb". I understand the instalation part but won't there be at least 3 bulbs for a Select-Trac? (one for each 4x4 option) (Part time, Full time and 4-Low)

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/9 ... begin1.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g241/ ... C00729.jpg

Also, if there are muliple bulbs, what sends the signal to each bulb pending which 4x4 option you've selected?

Thanks.

Robert

There will be only one bulb, with the plate marked either "4wd", or "part time". There are no bulbs to differentiate high and low range, and there's no bulb for full time 4wd. The second picture is it.

The first picture is just the markings for the shifter, which is lit when you have the headlight on, and not lit when the lights are off.

Although a couple of my boys have had XJ's in recent years, I havent owned one for about 5 years and couldnt remember what did or didnt light up on tha dash when in 4 wheel drive. I thought there was more than one but admittingly I've been wrong ONCE before. :roll: LOL!!!

Thanks for tha help.

Robert