Brake question for a Blazer

maddzz1

A co worker of mine has a 97 blazer w/ ABS. The pedal sudenly got very hard. Hid daughter brought to a shop a month or so ago and they had to add brake fluid; no loss of fluid since. Shop said possibly the booster is shot. What do you think?

hmm... well the fluid might have just been low because the brake pads are wearing.... usually a brake fluid leak doesn't go away unless it's fixed... is the abs acting up? my GF has a '99 blazer, and the abs module took a dump (i think, i scanned it with a gm tech II scanner and nothing came up and the abs light wasn't on so i just pulled the abs fuses) and it was like stepping on a brick, then all of a sudden the pedal would be normal again, you could hear the abs pump going crazy under the hood and the wheels would almost lock up.. if there's no problems with the abs then yeah the booster may very well be shot, usually when they go bad you can hear a little bit of a vacuum leak with the pedal pressed down

a '97 will definitely have an abs light on the dash... weird problem... the brake light usually only comes on for two reasons... low fluid or the e-brake is on... yet the fluid is full and the pedal is hard... my guess is its either the booster or something in the abs...