turn signal switch

i swap a 94 cherokee wiring from the dash to the engine, and kept the 89 comanche tail lights wiring, so what do i do or where is the turn signal switch, is it in the steering wheel or under the dash some where.

The turn signal switch is in the column just under the clock ring. Need a few more details here. Did you swap in an HO motor? The dash harness for the HO's are a little different than the Renix era and even though it mates up to the bulkhead connector, there is some wires that were moved around and do somethings different. You'll need the same era as what ever your engine harness is. You can do it but this will cause a whole lot more wiring problems than you face right now. I'm working on a write-up on using a XJ dash harness with an MJ rear harness right now and will hopefully be done soon. I've pinned out all the wires, just have to match everything up. I'll try to post my pinout here shortly but it may just confuse you more because they are Renix era specific. :roll:

EDIT:

Here's the pinout and it's rough and I'm still verifing that all are correct with the actual harness but so far so good.(I pulled this from the trouble shooting FSM for the 88 MJ and the one for the 88 XJ)

:cheers:

yes it is a HO

Well at least that's all good for you. The pic's above are Renix era so they will be different than yours but may help you out a little. The HO era went to different connectors for the dash to rear harness. The color coding will be close but not exact. The FSM posted above may help you with the dash harness however the best one is the wiring troubleshooting manual as it gets in to more detail as what wire goes to what connector pin. At least you can use the MJ pinout part that I posted.

That's because the XJ's have a separate bulb for the signal lamp and the MJ's are dual purpose, stop and turn. I know some have run a separate brake wire to fix this and I'm hoping to solve this problem without going that route but haven't got there yet.

I know some have run a separate brake wire to fix this and I'm hoping to solve this problem without going that route but haven't got there yet.

The wire run between the brake switch and the turn signal connector? I've put '92XJ and '96XJ harnesses in MJs, and that only took a moment, so i'm curious why you are looking for another option. Or is it more involved with the pre-HO harnesses?

I know some have run a separate brake wire to fix this and I'm hoping to solve this problem without going that route but haven't got there yet.

The wire run between the brake switch and the turn signal connector? I've put '92XJ and '96XJ harnesses in MJs, and that only took a moment, so i'm curious why you are looking for another option. Or is it more involved with the pre-HO harnesses?

From the brake switch to the rear harness. Sorry should have been more specific.

But since your at it, explain this moment it took you to wire up the rear MJ harness to the XJ dash harness so we might learn. Pic's would be nice. :thumbsup:

I think there's a misunderstanding here, it only took a moment to get my brake lights working properly by running a wire from the brake light switch to the turn signal connector on the steering column. That was the last step, after rearranging the wires in the cab connector to match the XJ dash harness. Matching up the dash harness with the rear cab harness took a little longer but wasn't too bad. The '92 XJ dash harness has two 16 pin connectors going to the back of the cab (gray and black), the 92 MJ only has one (black) 16 pin connector. In order to match things up easily, I grabbed the gray connector from the cab harness out of a jy XJ. Took apart the black MJ connector and along with the gray XJ cab connector, put the pins back to match as many of the pins from the XJ dash harness as i could. Same process you laid out earlier in this thread, only the wiring had changed over the years.

Last post of this thread, lists the 92 XJ rear harness pin outs and rear cab pin outs for a 92 MJ.

Second post of this thread covers the pin outs for the wire i had to run from the stop lamp switch to the turn signal connector. The thread also has a link to an older thread that has more good wiring info.

Not sure if any of this applies to your harness or the OPs question because of the wiring differences between years.

Very nice. :bowdown:

Wasn't trying to be a smart @ss was just wondering. I guess I didn't quite understand the brake switch wiring but now it's clear with the link. I'll see how that will work for my application.

Yea the renix era XJ has two 10 pin vice the later HO era 16 pin connectors and the MJ has one 10 pin and one 6 pin connector for the rear harness. He should be able to make it work now that he has your link for the HO era wiring and my pin out for the Renix era. His best bet would be to make a jumper using the old harness and the rear xj harness connectors.

Since my next project will be HO, links saved. Thanks. Plus I'll be able to reference them in my write up for those with HO era.

I knew you weren't no worries. I really should have taken a picture or two and documented things a little better in one place.

the one thing i'd be concerned with if i was the OP would be double checking to see if any of the XJ cab connectors changed between 92 and 94. I linked an FSM, between that link and your diagrams, he should be covered.