fuel pump voltage

I replaced the fuel pump in my 92mj and can not get it to work, unless I jump it with a battery charger[ inline fuse in the one lead] it will run then, I don't mean the jeep will run the pump runs. When I try to get it to run with the wiring connector plugged in I get nothing. I tried checking the voltage from the plug and sometimes I get a reading of around .5 volts. Need help this is driving me crazy. I have tried cleaning the ground wire back by the taillight, but that didn't seem to help. If it is a possible ground issue how can I test ground it to find out? Any resistor or fuses to check?

I replaced the fuel pump in my 92mj and can not get it to work, unless I jump it with a battery charger[ inline fuse in the one lead] it will run then, I don't mean the jeep will run the pump runs. When I try to get it to run with the wiring connector plugged in I get nothing. I tried checking the voltage from the plug and sometimes I get a reading of around .5 volts. Need help this is driving me crazy. I have tried cleaning the ground wire back by the taillight, but that didn't seem to help. If it is a possible ground issue how can I test ground it to find out? Any resistor or fuses to check?

Measure at the connector leads across the pump feed and ground pins. Should be close to 12V w. the IGN ON. If not, measure the voltage across the feed pin and a good chassis metal ground. If you read 12V, the ground is bad in the harness. If not, measure across each side of the ballast resistor terminals to chassis ground. Both terminals should read 12V. If not, the ballast resistor is open.