Shift cable lengths, column vs floor

Anybody know what the end to end lengths of each are? I'm not sure what exactly I have now as the parts house replacement for a floor shift cable (for a renix xj, should be the same right?) was considerably longer than the cable I have. Although I guess it's possible I got a column shift cable somehow.

Anybody know what the end to end lengths of each are? I'm not sure what exactly I have now as the parts house replacement for a floor shift cable (for a renix xj, should be the same right?) was considerably longer than the cable I have. Although I guess it's possible I got a column shift cable somehow.

How much longer is the cable? If you can put the extra length somewhere it will work, it will act the same as a shorter cable. I.E.: 2" of movement on a short cable, will be 2" of movement on a longcable... The housing will just be longer...

Rob L.

The column shift and the floor shift cables are completely different on the shifter ends. While the tranny ends are the same (they both attach to the same gear shift lever with a ball/socket joint), the floor shift cable has another socket joint end on it while the column shift cable has a shaft end. If you have a shaft end on one end of your cable, it's for the column shifter. BTW, how long is your cable? I'd like to find a column shift cable 2"-3" longer than my stock one as it's kind of tight now wrapping around the larger dual diaphram booster on the firewall.

It was enough of a difference to make up a nearly 1 foot round loop of extra cable. I had visions of a hanging footrest to catch a foot at the wrong time. Although at least I know I don't have the cables confused, mine has a ball/socket joint on each end. I'll have to measure my cable.

Looks like the cable I have is the incorrect one. Went to put it in and even with the shifter end 4" away from the shifter itself the other end was nearly up at the engine bay frame rail. :doh:

For the record, it's a ball/socket at both ends, 55" in length. I should have measured the H.O. shifter cable I have too, but it was obviously much shorter than 55".