Rear axle alignment?

I've never heard this mentioned, but when dropping the rear end and then putting it back in, is there any way to do an alignment to make sure it's pointed straight and not crabbing? Reason I ask is when I swapped in my D44 I just bolted it back onto the leafs and tighted eveything up and that was that (and retorqued the u-bolts a few times after driving of course). But I had some whining at certain speeds which I'm hoping is the u-joint simply either worn out or incorrect pinion angle (it does drive absolutely perfectly straight though).

I've now swapped in some new metric tonne springs and have replacement u-bolts to put it, but I'd like to be sure that I've done everything properly by correctly adjusted the pinion angle and also the side to side tracking. Or is there so little free play available in the tracking that aligning it is a non-issue?

crabbing?

I know the term "Dogleg".......guest its the same :hmm:

If you measure the distance from the backing plate to the springs, that would give you center from side to side. The leafs are offset from front to back about 1" with the "longer" length to the rear, in other words, the leafs "could" be installed backwards and cause dogleg to the rear axle.

When ever you change the axle / springs / drive shaft.......you should install brand new U-joint, because the U's find a "fixed" running position, and when you change something major, they will run at a slight different angle, and will cause the whining that you wrote about.

Or is there so little free play available in the tracking that aligning it is a non-issue?

Yea, thats about it :D