Interior Lights don't work when driver's side door is opened

I just bought an 89 comanche and it has this problem. I just replaced the crappy factory lights. The lights work from the passenger door. I pulled out the door jamb switch and disconnected the wires and connected them together and still no dice. So it can't be the switch then right? Am I missing something? Thanks.

I just bought an 89 comanche and it has this problem. I just replaced the crappy factory lights. The lights work from the passenger door. I pulled out the door jamb switch and disconnected the wires and connected them together and still no dice. So it can't be the switch then right? Am I missing something? Thanks.

Yeah, you are missing a wiring diagram.

The two wires do not complete a circuit. The lights are always "hot," and the door post switch completes the circuit to ground when the door opens. I don't remember why, but the driver's side door has a second wire for an additional circuit -- maybe a warning chime? Dunno -- try touching each wire to a bare spot on the door post -- like the edge of the hole for the switch.

Most likely you just need a new switch.

Yeah, you are missing a wiring diagram.

The two wires do not complete a circuit. The lights are always "hot," and the door post switch completes the circuit to ground when the door opens. I don't remember why, but the driver's side door has a second wire for an additional circuit -- maybe a warning chime? Dunno -- try touching each wire to a bare spot on the door post -- like the edge of the hole for the switch.

Most likely you just need a new switch.

Yep you are right. I touched one of the wires to the edge of the hole for the switch and the lights came on. :doh:

Thanks again!