Cruise Control question

Hi all.

I have an '86 MJ, 2.5, 4sp manual. Renix.

I have an used aftermarket cruise control system (Audiovox CCS100) that I pulled off a car my parents were getting rid of. I was able to download instructions from the web, so I'm pretty clear on how to hook it up. Problem is, the vehicle it came from was an auto tranny and it had a speed sensor, so the magnet kit for it is missing.

So what are my options to get it running in my Comanche?

I don't think my truck doesn't has the necessary speed sensor for me to plug into - or does it? I assume cruise was an option on these things, so what did the factory set up use - is there a part I can grab from the junkyard? Or do I just need to call Audiovox and order the magnet kit that originally came with the thing?

Thanks.

There will be no factory sensor on your truck to use. Hopefully the on line instructions also told you that you will need a clutch pedal cutout switch wired in, yes?

No clutch pedal cutout to wire in. According to the manual, the cutout is built in and the unit senses the spikes in rpm when the clutch is depressed from the tach feed. The connections I need are : 12V accessory power, tach, brake cutout, vehicle speed, and vacuum. If the vehicle has an existing speed sensor, I wire into that - if not, then I install the magnet kit on the driveshaft. Then the settings on the unit are programed based on # of cylinders, whether the tach signal's coming from the coil or the ECM, etc ...

I contacted Audiovox, and getting a replacement magnet kit is no big deal. I'm just hesitant because I foresee issues with damaging the sensor/magnets hanging under the truck, etc. That's why I was wondering about other options. I'm curious about what MJ/XJ's from that era used for their factory cruise set up - if it was even an option with a manual transmission. I know some vehicles used to have one attached to the gauge cluster or speedo cable. But I've tried part searches for a Jeep speed sensor, and I get zero results.

I have the same kit on my 2.5.

I believe the Renix era trucks used a two piece speedo cable for the factory setup. You'll have to use the magnet kit on your truck.

I was happy I didn't have to use that. I thought it was a bad idea too, especially since they want you to put the magnet on the D.S., which is going to be moving up and down, so it couldn't possibly always read correctly.

As for the over-rev protection for if you throw in the clutch without turning the cruise off first, I wouldn't rely on it. I tested it a couple times after I installed the kit and it did not work. Either the system's faulty, or the 2.5 just simply does not rev quick enough for it to think of it as a problem.

I have the same kit on my 2.5.

I believe the Renix era trucks used a two piece speedo cable for the factory setup. You'll have to use the magnet kit on your truck.

I was happy I didn't have to use that. I thought it was a bad idea too, especially since they want you to put the magnet on the D.S., which is going to be moving up and down, so it couldn't possibly always read correctly.

As for the over-rev protection for if you throw in the clutch without turning the cruise off first, I wouldn't rely on it. I tested it a couple times after I installed the kit and it did not work. Either the system's faulty, or the 2.5 just simply does not rev quick enough for it to think of it as a problem.

Ah, OK. But if I found a 2-piece speedo cable at the junkyard, could I use that? I have a list of misc. parts I need to grab next time I make a JY trip ... so I may just poke around and see if I get lucky. Worth a try before I order the magnet kit, I guess.

Thanks for the heads-up about the over-rev. I'll definitely be aware of it. Shouldn't be much of a problem, though. I don't use cruise control much at all, and never when I'm in traffic. ... but I've been doing a lot of trips out to Eastern WA lately and there are some long, flat stretches where I stay in 4th, and the cruise will come in handy to keep my leg drom going dead.

:cheers: