Fuel gauge started playing games! Usual suspects?

Hi guys,

I had a quick search but didn't find any posts relating to this issue so hoping someone can help point me in the right direction :D

All of a sudden my fuel gauge has decided it won't read any more than quarter tank?! Is this a common problem?

It has always worked fine until now when after I had parked on a steep side camber it suddenly went from full tank to quarter and stayed there. It had a moment a few days back when it started to work again for a couple of minutes but then it went back to quarter tank. It does seem to move as the fuel level goes down but not much.

Are there any usual suspects? I was thinking maybe a bad connector somewhere but I'm not sure where to look. I gave what I'm guessing is the sender unit (on the tank RH side) sharp tap hoping if something was stuck it'd free up but it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks hugely :cheers: :bowdown:

I would check the plug, wires going to and from then negative grounds...

Other than that, the float could have sprung a leak, a wire broke inside or the float arm has been damaged. Have you had fuel stolen recently?

CW

OK, I'll see if I can get the connector block on the tank off to see if that's corroded. No fuel stolen. I'm guessing there's a bad connector somwhere because the gauge did start to work properly for a short time.

Thanks for the info :cheers:

• 1 year later...
Hi guys,

I had a quick search but didn't find any posts relating to this issue so hoping someone can help point me in the right direction :D

All of a sudden my fuel gauge has decided it won't read any more than quarter tank?! Is this a common problem?

It has always worked fine until now when after I had parked on a steep side camber it suddenly went from full tank to quarter and stayed there. It had a moment a few days back when it started to work again for a couple of minutes but then it went back to quarter tank. It does seem to move as the fuel level goes down but not much.

Are there any usual suspects? I was thinking maybe a bad connector somewhere but I'm not sure where to look. I gave what I'm guessing is the sender unit (on the tank RH side) sharp tap hoping if something was stuck it'd free up but it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem, did you find a solution? My gauge never goes above 1/4 tank, but it works fine below that.

I had a problem like this a year or so ago with my jeep. I filled it up and it only read half a tank. Did that for a couple of weeks then fixed itself. I don't know...the arm might have gotten stuck or something. I'm lucky though. Hope you figure it out.

• 10 months later...
Hi guys,

Any ideas?

I have the same problem, did you find a solution? My gauge never goes above 1/4 tank, but it works fine below that.

Answering my year old question, in case someone else has this problem. My cluster was bad, and after doing a cluster swap, the fuel gauge worked properly.