1986 Comanche info

Before anyone says search..I did, but what are the weak points of the 86 MJ for some reason I remember the engine compartment being smaller or something like that, is there anything else. All I know about the jeep at this point is that it is it runs its a 4x4 and a manual transmission.

Before anyone says search..I did, but what are the weak points of the 86 MJ for some reason I remember the engine compartment being smaller or something like that, is there anything else. All I know about the jeep at this point is that it is it runs its a 4x4 and a manual transmission.

that's a little too vague. it has the same weak points as any other comanche, except that it could have a 2.8 liter gmc v6. that engine is worthless and you CANNOT make it worthwhile. no matter what you do, it's junk.

if it's a 4 cylinder don't worry about it.

and the engine bay being smaller is a much-disagreed-upon myth. some have that issue, some don't. no guarantees.

if it happens to be smaller, it would only be by maybe a couple inches around the right hand side of the transmission hump on the bottom of the firewall.

if you want to do a 4.0 swap on one, you need a new hood, new radiator supports (this includes the steel behind the headlight buckets), and a new front crossmember- all from a 4.0 liter.

just swaped 94 4.0 with aw4 trans Into my erly 86 mj only diferance in firewall I see is

were the 86 dos`nt have the dimple for the floor shift cable.I Used the colume shift.I had

to change core suport and hood . Also wireing harnes`s engine,and dash.Was easy but time consuming.