frame repair opinion

hello everyone!

my 1990 MJ has a lot of rust on the frame under the cab and there are some hole in it, I can repare it no problem, but how many of you did it ? is it a big job ? I am going to do my floor in the same time ( no more floor don't know why... :nuts: )

but anyway I am going to take some pics this week end of how bad is the frame

just for now, I need your opinion on this project...

thank !

Frame repairs can be done, but it also depends on how much damage has been done to begin with, you need to remember, these truck are a "Uni-body" Frame combo.

Post up some pictures and that will help on how much damage has been done already.

I have 2 MJ's here now that the frame damage is so bad, it's not worth repairing them, so there donors for some better units. Hate doing it on MJ's with less that 90K on the clock, but when a section of frame is not even there..........no other choice :(

Frame repairs can be done, but it also depends on how much damage has been done to begin with, you need to remember, these truck are a "Uni-body" Frame combo.

Post up some pictures and that will help on how much damage has been done already.

I have 2 MJ's here now that the frame damage is so bad, it's not worth repairing them, so there donors for some better units. Hate doing it on MJ's with less that 90K on the clock, but when a section of frame is not even there..........no other choice :(

Cut the cab off the Unibody 'frame', and build yourself a new frame, so the cab can be removable.

I've heard it could be done.

I am a part manager in a Honda dealership and we have a bodyshop so unibody isnt a big deal to us... we have some special low temp MIG that cost a lot !

but as i said, I am going to post some pict of it this week end

as for the floor, it is the second time I repair it :mad: hope second time a charmed !

Cut the cab off the Unibody 'frame', and build yourself a new frame, so the cab can be removable.

I've heard it could be done.

no more unibody ???????????? :no:

don't agree with you !!!

unibody is all the strengh of your MJ

I've been patching the holes and plating over the patch, I've been using 1/8 on the sides and 3/16 flat bar for the bottom, I have been using 35 wire and setting the welder on a low heat level, just a bit below what it should be for welding 1/8 pieces topether, the really hard part is starting the bead on the new plate and trying to get it to suck the older steel into the puddle as opposed to dipping it straight across both pieces, this seems to work as it not only survives the bfh test but it withstands the really bfh

http://picasaweb.google.com/canajien/ComanchePt3#

sometime after it is finally on the road I will spend a couple of days plating the entire length of the frame, sure it may add weight, but I don't think its going to kill it, I'm not looking to build a trail buggy or an expedition vehicle, I just want a daily driver that will haul stuff around

:agree: , if I had the time and equipment I would look into getting some 3x6, and run it all along the frame from front to back, slice off one of the 3" sides along the length and you could probably notch it or make pie cuts in order to bend and shape it along the frame, especially in the area below the rear of the cab, it would give you very smoothly rounded corners at the bottom

but I have neither so patch and plate will do for now, and a nice smooth plate along the sides will have to wait until later, I'm in a bit of a rush as I am without a vehicle right now, I figured it would take 4-6 weeks to sell my 02 ram, but it was gone in 2 days, my wife thinks I was a bit foolish to let it go so early, but my friends think I am "visionary" for proceeding with the comanche