Pure frustration

pilotblake

I picked up a MTX preform or whatever they are called subwoofer box(cheap). It was made for a chevy silverado, but fits nicely behind my bucket seats, and since it is all enclosed plastic with 2 10's and built in amp, I figured it would work good. Anyway previous owner had a radio in the truck but took it out when i bought it from him, so i threw an old one in to fill the spot but left it unhooked. Went to hook it up last night, and had it sounding good. Put the seat back in and then went in to eat a late dinner, came back out turned on the ignition and radio, and the radio came on but no sound from the door speakers, only bass from the sub. Checked everywhere for a short or something? :mad: After retracing everything I hooked up i was truly puzzled. Started checking things to see if they still worked, pulled out the headlight switch and a cloud of white smoke came out of my radio. I have probably installed 20 some stereo systems and never had a problem. I then cussed at it and went to bed. :wall: Now I am at work, trying to work through what it could be so when i get home I can get it back together. Sorry just had to vent. :hmm: :redX:

Thats sounds similar to something that I just found. I just bought a 94 XJ and while trying to figure out why my driver side highbeam doesnt work I noticed that if I pull on the headlight switch the radio turns on. If I dim the dash lights by turning the light knob the radio shuts off; even if I am driving. I wonder if the PO of your truck did something similar to mine and tapped into the light switch for power somehow. You should see if the radio comes on by turning the lights on with the truck off.