EGR Valve?

My EGR Valve is making some nasty noises. Disconnect the vacuum lines and the noise disappears. Is the EGR Valve necessary? We don't have emissions checks here, but will the engine run fine without it? I've heard gas mileage will tank, anybody removed it? Can I just cap off the vacuum line?

From experience and many different websites visited, it depends- about half say its bad and does bad things, half say no problem...and no one can say why-

I bypassed my MJs, and the XJ when I had it- both 89s. The XJ actually had a rotted out diaphram, so it was a no brainer to bypass it. It drove much better at full throttle. The MJ was just having problems one day, and it was on the "bypass and recheck" list- it also drives better-

neither showed any ill effects- no overheating, no weird idle, ....and no flat spot at full throttle hits! :brows:

now- many people have said exactly the opposite- some overheat, have idle problems, ec,ect- I think it really depends on the condition of the internals and age of vehicle- can't hurt to try though.

From experience and many different websites visited, it depends- about half say its bad and does bad things, half say no problem...and no one can say why-

I bypassed my MJs, and the XJ when I had it- both 89s. The XJ actually had a rotted out diaphram, so it was a no brainer to bypass it. It drove much better at full throttle. The MJ was just having problems one day, and it was on the "bypass and recheck" list- it also drives better-

neither showed any ill effects- no overheating, no weird idle, ....and no flat spot at full throttle hits! :brows:

now- many people have said exactly the opposite- some overheat, have idle problems, ec,ect- I think it really depends on the condition of the internals and age of vehicle- can't hurt to try though.

Did you just plug off the vacuum lines?

i removed the valve from the manifold, plugged the manifold. all the erg vacuum lines were removed, the whole harness. i had to plug something afterwards, but don't remember what. once you remove the complete erg vacuum harness its clear what to plug. i would be nervous to leave the valve on the manifold. possible leak?? :rotf:

Did you just plug off the vacuum lines?

yes and no-

I bypassed the xj`s lines with a T fitting- the MJs I used the same fitting, but used RTV inside to block it- no difference either way, but looks completely stock.