4.0 to 2.5 acessory drives

I am looking to covert my 1987 2.5 Sportruck to AC and power steering. Are the acessories from a 4.0 the same as on a 2.5? I think this would really help me to find the needed brackets if they are the same. I seem to remember seeing it said that they are the same, but really not sure. I have the HVAC housing, condensor, and lines from my 2.8 donor truck that are all the same as my 2.5, the compressor would work it it didnt have the V-belt setup. Did you know it cost less to buy a reman compressor with clutch than it does to buy a new clutch to replace the V-belt one on the compressor I have? Funny! Also looking to add the power steering setup too, but I know the pumps are different from the 2.8 to the 2.5. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get this project moving! :banana:

I think the power steering is the same. Mine already has the bracket with an idler there. For the AC i think it may be a bit different. I know that it looks different than the HO that is in my cherokee, but the brakets may very well bolt up the the block in the same way.

I was going to try it out this spring when I get the chance to pull some from the yard. I need a new AC comp anyway and was going ot try to pull the one off a newer XJ and switch to R-134A.

You don't really need a newer compressor to go to R134a, you just need a retrofit kit to add to your R12 system. Ive done this conversion several times, the last one was on a Cherokee. The customer hasnt had any problems that I know of. Its been almost a year now since I did it. You need the rerofit, and a good evacuation machine and pull vacuum on it for about an hour. This will get all the old oil and any moisture out of the system. You should also replace the receiver dryer/ accumulator at the same time. There are conversion charts available to tell you how much R134a to add according to how much R12 the system is originally supposed to take.

You don't really need a newer compressor to go to R134a, you just need a retrofit kit to add to your R12 system. Ive done this conversion several times, the last one was on a Cherokee. The customer hasnt had any problems that I know of. Its been almost a year now since I did it. You need the rerofit, and a good evacuation machine and pull vacuum on it for about an hour. This will get all the old oil and any moisture out of the system. You should also replace the receiver dryer/ accumulator at the same time. There are conversion charts available to tell you how much R134a to add according to how much R12 the system is originally supposed to take.

I know all about it. My compressor is crap. So if I am going to upgrade to 134 I might as well grab a new style compressor while I am at it. Also, 134 runs at a higher pressure than r12. I will be replacing everything (in the bay at least), lines included.

The retrofit kits are great, I have used them a few times with good results. I have never evacuated the system (time/money), and the kits have always gone on empty systems anyway. Turns out fine. The kits are supposed to have an enzyme that breaks down R12 so it does not contaminate the 134.

Had the opportunity to look at a 4.0 MJ with AC. The alternator is in a different position, down lower than the 2.5, but it doesnt look like it would work on the 2.5 because the frame narrows in at the rear and if the brakets were the same, the alternator would hit the frame, so I had my dealer parts dept look up the brackets, copied the pics and sent theem to the local Jeep JY. We will see what materializes soon. But I got my compressor, PS pump and resevior, pressure hose, and receiver dryer ordered, so maybe this weekend we can start the conversion! :banana: