Setting pinion Angle on rear axle install

Ok putting my new 88 under my MJ and I need to make sure I understand. Some details

1. leaving leaf springs under axle

2. the measurements should be made with axle under weight of vehicle

I would have to put spring perch on the axle and bolt it down and lower vehicle. Connect driveshaft. Take my measurement of both drive-shaft and differential angles. Raise vehicle back up and adjust differential angle. Lower vehicle back down and measure again. Repeat until angle it correct and tack weld and remove for final welding

Image Not Found

When we did mine on the YJ, we bolted everything in place, but not so tight that it couldn't be moved, set it on the ground, hooked up the drive shaft and then used a small floor jack to push the pinion up until we had it where we wanted it and tacked the perches in place. It took all of about 5 minutes to do. There is no need to keep picking it up and putting it back down again. :cheers:

use of a floor jack - that's something I might have thought of but might not

thanks

I have to go find a u-joint that will accommodate the 1330 on the 8.8 side and 1310 on the axle side. I'm told that was a common thing on some Ford trucks straight from the factory - so it shouldn't be hard

thanks

I have to go find a u-joint that will accommodate the 1330 on the 8.8 side and 1310 on the axle side. I'm told that was a common thing on some Ford trucks straight from the factory - so it shouldn't be hard

you can get a different companion flange for your driveshaft that takes a 1310 u-joint. the one i have came off of a ranger.

thanks

I'm almost positive I have a spare flange. I would just need to find it. Incase you strike out...

As for the angle I always set it so its just pointing down from straight. So under power when the springs torque flex its straight pointing at the back of the Tcase.

CW

As for the angle I always set it so its just pointing down from straight. So under power when the springs torque flex its straight pointing at the back of the Tcase.

CW

That is exactly the method that I have always used too and it has never been a problem. :thumbsup: