Rubicon D44 making noise question,

So this is on my TJ, but I figured the mechanics of the problem is the same on any front axle.

I have a clicking noise coming from the front that is speed related. Stops when stopped. Increases and decreases with speed. I've lifted the front off the ground and spun the tires and I can hear it. So, I spun the tires holding the front driveshaft and it is still there. I'm thinking doing that, I've eliminated ring and pinion, air locker, and DS ujoints. Which leaves me with wheel bearings. It's hard to tell which side, but I'm leaning towards the passenger side one. I'm going to lift one side at a time and see if I can determine which side. This axle is out of a 04 Rubicon but I have heard that the wheel bearings don't last too long with larger tires. Am I heading down the right path here? Is there anything that I've over looked as the problem and is there any other members here that have had a simuliar problem with this axle?

This is my DD and unfortunitly, has not been wheeled since installed. Not sure of the milage on it but I would guess under 50K.

:cheers:

Actually...on those TJ Rubi's, the u-joints on the stub shafts were a known problem. Could be the bearings, but I am leaning a little more to the u-joint. I have a friend that had a Rubi and he went through 3 u-joints in a year after putting 35" tires on it. Believe it or not...they replaced them under warranty every time :eek:

Well, after the one tire at a time test, I decided that the noise wasn't the same as when I was driving so I took it out and drove it some more to maybe narrow it down. With both windows open and my neighbor standing by the side of the road as I drove by, we decided that it was not clicking. Instead it was chirpping. :doh:

I'm off to the pet store to get those canaries out of my front drive shaft.

I'm really happy that it was not the wheel bearings as new u-joints are a lot cheaper. :brows:

:cheers: