Mj and XJ part interchangability?

I'm considering taking mechanical parts ( engine, tranny, transfer case,) from my 92 XJ and using them to fix up an MJ. I think i may have found one 1988 MJ.

1) Will the XJ mechanicals bolt to the MJ without modification?

2) Is there any part of the MJ that my not be interchangeable?

The engine, trans, & t-case will be a direct bolt in, although you probably will have to swap the wiring harness over from the xj since its a H.O. vs Renix in the mj. For the most part anything in between the front bumper and front doors on a xj will be a bolt on for a mj.

Yea...it can be done, but as stated, the XJ you are talking about is an HO model and it will require considerable work with the wiring to make it work in your truck. There are a lot of issues to deal with for the dash, fuel pump sensors, etc, etc...

This is a good thread on here to read about the swap as JeepcoMJ has just been through all the issues... CLICK HERE

This is a great thread and I am going to look at the link. (don't mean to steal the thread just don't want to wast web space with the same questions.) my xj motor is starting to make the old click click bag noise. I know I have a mane abrring going and that was one of the reasons I picked up the 89 mj was for the drive train.

the xj is a 91 and the mj is a 89. will the 91 intake and exhaust fit the 89 motor. what all would I have to change if anything? I know the 89 is not Ho but its a strong motor and will serve my pupose no problem. the 89 is a 5 speed and the 91 is an auto. what would I have to do to adapt the trany?

thanks for the help

Way too many questions for not wanting to "steal" the thread. You really should start your own for stuff like this.

My quick answer is... It's not worth the effort. The only way I would even try what you are thinking is to swap the block only from the '89 and keep the HO head, but that is just too much work. It would be easier to just fix the bearing issue in the '91 in my opinion.

I think one of the mods or admin should split this part off in to it's own topic...