brake job front

I was doing my brakes, and found that PO has mixed the pads for both sides.

My Haynes manual doesnt discuss a difference, but when I bought new pads, they did appear diffrent inboard to outboard pad. Can someone set me straight on which one goes where. One pad backing plate has holes on it, one does not and has slightly less material. I assume this to be the inboard.

Thanks guys......I am also doing new rotors and hoses.....poor things was lucky to stop.

You are correct on the pads. Not sure about the hole thing though. Usually the backings have a slightly different shape to them as well btwn inner and outer. Be sure to check the surfaces that the pads ride on. If they are too badly notched or grooved, you may need to replace the sub-caliper piece.

C'mon, no one has ran across this question before?

It just seems that the brake best pads I got from O'Reilly had smaller inboard pads and two holes on the backing plate. Could have been used by whoever relined the backing plate with friction material.

It had worked with the pads backwards on each caliper.....and everything went back together okay, but I wanted to make sure it was correct.