Thinking Auto Trans Swap again....

I'm again tossing around the idea of swapping my AX-15, which is getting harder to harder to shift and "shaking" pretty good during all shifts, and requires swearing, kicking and screaming to get into Reverse, for an Auto... I know there isn't an "easy" swap and I need to get ALL the parts and pieces from what ever I get the Auto from, but I'm just looking for some feedback on just HOW CRAZY hard it would be to swap...

I assume to make it somewhat easier, I want to get a Pre-90/91 AW4 from a 4WD Cherokee/Comanche, and/or get one with the 231Tcase already connected?

Will Also I assume require a new rear drive shaft (or current one cut down) since the AX-15 and AW4 are probably different lengths, yes?

I know many people thing going from Stick to Auto is totally :nuts: , but for me it makes more sense... Wife has to take the MJ more now since my TJ is still in pieces and no ammount of practice is going to make that woman a better stick pilot...

Thoughts?

Sw2

I'm again tossing around the idea of swapping my AX-15, which is getting harder to harder to shift and "shaking" pretty good during all shifts, and requires swearing, kicking and screaming to get into Reverse, for an Auto... I know there isn't an "easy" swap and I need to get ALL the parts and pieces from what ever I get the Auto from, but I'm just looking for some feedback on just HOW CRAZY hard it would be to swap...

I assume to make it somewhat easier, I want to get a Pre-90/91 AW4 from a 4WD Cherokee/Comanche, and/or get one with the 231Tcase already connected?

Will Also I assume require a new rear drive shaft (or current one cut down) since the AX-15 and AW4 are probably different lengths, yes?

I know many people thing going from Stick to Auto is totally :nuts: , but for me it makes more sense... Wife has to take the MJ more now since my TJ is still in pieces and no ammount of practice is going to make that woman a better stick pilot...

Thoughts?

Sw2

good news;

you don't have to swap the interior wiring to do this conversion.

bad news;

you DO still have to rip out the dash and hvac so you can get the TCU wiring inside the cab.

you need the engine bay harness (the engine harness itself connects to the main engine bay harness, and can remain as-is). to swap that harness, you still have to pull the entire front clip off of the vehicle, or at least the bumper, to route everything back through.

then you just need the flexplate, trans, torque converter, front and rear driveshafts (yes, BOTH are different), shifter linkages, trans computer, and a bit of time.

it's a swap that you could do in a weekend I would say.

it's a swap that you could do in a weekend I would say.

You've never seen me in action...My TJ has been in parts most of this month just for Front Brakes, Ball Joints, Swaybar Swap, and T-Case shifter... part of that time was waiting for parts (still waiting for some), but I can take a weekend project and turn it into weeks and weeks of swearing and knuckle breaking...

But if I found a decent donor where I could get everything off in one shot...

SW2