Comanche Pu Missing,blowing smoke

I had this problem with my 2.5L before I had the head rebuilt and engine. Put in new fuel pump with sending unit,new injector,fuel filters. Engine misses and blows black smoke, and every once in a while will smooth out and run better. Have about 1200 miles on rebuilt engine. Gets really crappy gas milage too, about 10 mpg!

Dist. cap and plug wires new, new plugs--Distributer contacts get a whitish buildup on them after several miles, new Rotor also. Help this is driving me crazy!!!!!!! :doh: :wall:

Just because you replaced it doesn't mean that it can't be bad :idea: . It has happened many times. The fuel injected engines don't have a choke ;)

Could be a timing issue as the 2.5L (unlike the 4.0L) has a tensioner on the timing chain that does go bad and allow the timing to get way out of wack.

That tensioner is a definate possibility and is a something I don't think was replaced. Thanks for a great suggestion. Also injector was actually replaced 3 times before I got a good one! I think I'm going to rename you Comanche Genuis!! :clapping:

I actually was there for the Head and Manifold and torqued bolts my self and saw the rest done so I know they are Ok. I looked at that tensioner and it was worn and stupidly didn't replace it. Was in a hurry to get her done!

I now live on a boat in a marina so working on truck is problematic, but I will get her done when no one is looking and weather permits!!