MY TRUCK DIED!!

Hello everyone.......Ok I'll get right to business. I was Driving my truck home from a hunting trip when I saw a cow along the road so I tried to honk at it...just for fun....I got nothing ... no horn, then my truck just died ...like stopped running in gear and coasted to a stop. My friend and I fiddled around in the fuses and relays for like 20 minutes then I got in the cab to try to start it. when I turned the key on the horn was stuck on, but the truck started and I drove it down the road with the horn blaring. I hit a bump then the horn went off along with the truck again. I ended up having it trailered back to my house.....It still won't start.....Any ideas as to what it could be??? Thanks in advance for any help.

:grrrr:

Sounds like an issue in the steering column wiring...ignition switch maybe. Look that over real good and check you fuse block under there on the fire wall to see if there is any fluid leaking in to it from the master cylinder. It really sounds to me like there is a short in the column that is having an effect on the ignition switch though.

I do have a leaky master......But I has always leaked a little. I rebuilt it last summer but it was pitted pretty bad so a couldnt hone it very good. I'm going to replace the whole master now just to take care of it, but I don't think it is causing the problem I'm having. I also think it is in the steering column. How difficult is that t take apart?

P.s thanks for the quick reply :cheers:

I do have a leaky master......But I has always leaked a little. I rebuilt it last summer but it was pitted pretty bad so a couldnt hone it very good. I'm going to replace the whole master now just to take care of it, but I don't think it is causing the problem I'm having. I also think it is in the steering column. How difficult is that t take apart?

P.s thanks for the quick reply :cheers:

a leaky master cylinder that has been leaking for a long time, will leak clutch fluid into your fuse box. clutch fluid (brake fluid) is corrosive, and eats away at the electrical connections.

so, it likely has alot to do with the problem. if, say, your horn wire became corroded enough to brake off of it's connection, and drop down to contact say, a battery connection...it would short out enough to cause your issues.

clean the fuse box. it won't be a fun job either.

as for the steering column, that is just as likely. tear it apart and look at the horn connection. you should just have to take the horn button/cover off to get at that.

It can be quite difficult if you don't have the right tools and a manual to guide you or someone that has been there/done that ;)

I have posted both the FSM and an Electrical manual in the DIY forum if you want to go there and download them. :thumbsup: