No Start

:wall: The electrical demons are multiplying. The PO of my truck was the king of hot taps for whatever he wanted to hook up electrically, but short of literally tearing the whole dash out I'm pretty sure I've got some shorts and/or missing wires somewhere.

With that history stated, some of you may remember when I posted up after I went through my dash to replace rocker switches, light bulbs and install the stereo, that I can't seem to get a constant hot for the memory on my clock and radio. The clock had memory before I did all of this, and the only wiring I messed with was the stereo, which the previous harness and my new one matched up exactly the same. Next, I keep blowing the fuse for the dash lights and running lights. Since my VA state inspection expired at the end of October, I was all set this past weekend to finally get everything straight and be legal again. Saturday I drove it around (dead tags, dead inspection :eek: ) running errands and whatnot almost all day, so all of a sudden it was 4pm and my Cavaliers were on TV, i.e. not much effort went in to fixing anything that day. Sunday a.m. I head out to make a day of it and..........................no start. Got dash lights, buzzers etc., but turn the key and you hear the starter relay and/or the starter solenoid engage, but not a single turn of the starter or motor. Tapped on the solenoid and starter a few times with a wrench, nothing. The voltage gauge was a little low, but mine's a little erratic anyway. Regardless, I attempt to jump it with no luck even though I let it charge forever. I had the alternator checked at Advanced a few months ago and it was fine. If it is the starter or alt, is it possible that it just $#!& the bed overnight? I put at least 50+ miles on it Saturday, started fine each time with probably 10 starts, then nothing the next day. :nuts:

Has the NSS ever been cleaned? It is another very likely cause. I'm surprised it has lasted 213K if not. You may want to try cleaning it before messing with the starter. Not saying that the starter isn't bad, but the NSS will probably need maintenance soon anyway. This will show you how to clean it.

Willy

Has the NSS ever been cleaned? It is another very likely cause. I'm surprised it has lasted 213K if not. You may want to try cleaning it before messing with the starter. Not saying that the starter isn't bad, but the NSS will probably need maintenance soon anyway. This will show you how to clean it.

Willy

Good catch too. I didn't notice that it was an AW4.

Just a question though as it was my "impression" that if the NSS went bad, there would be no power to the starter, thus no clicking noise or anything??

I really don't think it's the battery. When I had a previous no start issue I finally found the hot going to the starter relay was loose after thinking, just like here, that it may be the starter, the alt, the relay or the solenoid. That's when I had the alt tested. Anyway, it did turn a little slow on Saturday, and last night I turned the key hoping it magically fixed itself..NOT..and it did seem the interior lights were slightly dimmer. So my concern is something is drawing down on it, which does not fall under the K.I.S.S. area of repair. Actually, I'd love for it to be nothing more than just replacing the starter. I hate to go through the process but I guess I'll pull the starter and haul it down there if the starter is the consensus out there.

Just a question though as it was my "impression" that if the NSS went bad, there would be no power to the starter, thus no clicking noise or anything??

I think you are right on that. Maybe have somebody turn the key while you check the solenoid terminal with a test light? If the NSS is working the light should come on. If the light comes on and it doesn't start, I'm pretty sure that would be a bad starter or solenoid at that point. If the light doesn't come on that would point to the NSS.

Actually, I'd love for it to be nothing more than just replacing the starter. I hate to go through the process but I guess I'll pull the starter and haul it down there if the starter is the consensus out there.

Removing the starter really isn't that bad. Disconnect the battery, disconnect two wires, and remove two bolts. :thumbsup:

Willy

Willy

No idea Willy. I've only put 3k on it since I've owned it, the PO bought it new. Other than his propensity to hot tap, I think he took pretty good care of it considering it was his DD for probably 18 of the 20yrs he owned it. Funny, I thought it might be the NSS too as I put it in Neutral, jiggled it and tried to start, or put it back in to Park with a little extra pressure to make sure it was "clicked" all the way in and then jiggled it there also. I had no idea that was an item that could be cleaned or maintained though, so thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely check that out as it sounds like a real possibility. And I thought if it went bad that the tranny wouldn't shift?

Willy

No idea Willy. I've only put 3k on it since I've owned it, the PO bought it new. Other than his propensity to hot tap, I think he took pretty good care of it considering it was his DD for probably 18 of the 20yrs he owned it. Funny, I thought it might be the NSS too as I put it in Neutral, jiggled it and tried to start, or put it back in to Park with a little extra pressure to make sure it was "clicked" all the way in and then jiggled it there also. I had no idea that was an item that could be cleaned or maintained though, so thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely check that out as it sounds like a real possibility. And I thought if it went bad that the tranny wouldn't shift?

A bad NSS shouldn't prevent the transmission from shifting. It will prevent starting and/or the reverse lights won't work. Jiggling the shifter and trying park and reverse will sometimes work, but if it does, it is only a temporary solution.

Even if an XJ/MJ has been well maintained the NSS will eventually need cleaning. I think it may just be the design. :dunno: The grease inside seems to dry up and prevent the internals from making contact properly. It's pretty easy to clean and one of those things that if not done, will eventually need to be done.

Willy

Check/clean/replace your grounds and battery cables if you haven't already. Most of the gremlins you are experiencing can be explained by bad grounds.

Definitely a possibility and will do. Replaced the battery couplers on the end of the cables, cleand posts up, and put on felt anti-corrosion pads about 6 weeks ago, but I think the other ends, i.e. engine ground and/or hot may be loose, bad etc. Probably just going to replace them since battery end of my ground had arced at some point and melted through the sheathing. Wrapped the crap out of it in electrical tape when I put on the new couplers.

Thanks!