Front axle - advice?

So I took my Comanche to the shop to have my 4.88 gears installed, along with my lockers (Truetrac front, detroit rear.) I had acquired a Comanche D44, so I'm not polishing the turd of my 35.

Well today, I get the dreaded call from the shop. They tell me my axle tube is bent, on the long side next to the disconnect :doh: . Normally, it may be no big deal to replace the axle, but I have a "custom" steering and track bar setup, and the shop I had it done at in Colorado is now no longer in business. They can be seen here.

Basically, at this point, I am seeing two options. One, I can have the front housing replaced. They believe, depending on what they find in their axle pile (still awaiting word from them) that they can possibly move the knuckles (And thus the steering, brakes, other assorted outer parts) to a new axle housing. They think I may be able to get a non-disco axle with the larger U-joints this way as well. However, the problem we're looking at is the over the axle trackbar bracket. Because it is welded to the axle, they don't think they can cut it off and move it over, and so I'm looking at having to find a new track bar solution. I'm pretty commited to my track bar because of what I paid to have it done, but I can suck this up if need be :dunno: .

My roommate brought up option #2. They found the bent axletube before they put the gears in, so no work has been done as of yet. He said that I may want to look into getting a front Waggy 44, and just having them put it under the jeep. Remove all the old brackets, put the new stuff on. See what I can do about trading my set of D30 4.88 gears and truetrac locker for 44 versions of the same. However, then I don't know about the driveshaft (would I need a new one for the new axle?). I also don't know what I could do to save the steering and track bar (possibly buy a high steer arm and bolt the custom steering to that?)

Any advice? Appreciate the help. :???:

The first thing that comes to mind is how are they determining that the axle housing is bent? I'm not doubting them, but it really takes a specialized person to make that call. The CAD D30 is actually a much stronger housing due to the CAD area being reinforced.

I'm not sure how close you are to Denver, but Joshua at Crawlertech 4x4 (he's also the new owner of Crane Hi-Clearance) is probably one of the most knowledgeable guys I've ever talked to about axle's. I know he's got the equipment to tell you if your housing is truly bent or not. Just another thought. He can be reached at 720-422-4598.

The first thing that comes to mind is how are they determining that the axle housing is bent? I'm not doubting them, but it really takes a specialized person to make that call. The CAD D30 is actually a much stronger housing due to the CAD area being reinforced.

I'm not sure how close you are to Denver, but Joshua at Crawlertech 4x4 (he's also the new owner of Crane Hi-Clearance) is probably one of the most knowledgeable guys I've ever talked to about axle's. I know he's got the equipment to tell you if your housing is truly bent or not. Just another thought. He can be reached at 720-422-4598.

He's the one who told me my axle is bent... :rotf:

I guess I came down harder on that log than I thought. Thanks for the advice, it serves as reinforcement for what he told me. Not that I doubted him, but this is the first time I have used them.

I didn't realize the Waggy 44 was 6-lug, I thought the reason they were popular was because they had the same bolt pattern, similar to the Ford 8.8. Looks like it'll just be easiest to see what I can do with a replacement D30.

Well if Josh told ya it's bent, than their is no question about it. ;)

As Brent stated, you could always change the shafts in the D44 to a 6 lug pattern. The new Alloy chromo shafts are now being sold with both the 5 lug and 6 lug patterns on them so you can choose what combo you want.

If you do go with a Waggy D44, the easiest way to get it under your MJ is to call up Bob @ Treks (TNT Customs) and order the truss system for it. You'll thank yourself later for just going that route.

As for the steering stuff, sucks about Phat Jeeps. I'm not sure what to tell you about that.

Any more pictures of the steering knuckles and track bar set up? Are those just bolt on brackets on the knuckles that the tie rod and drag link are attached to?

Can you get a close up of the track bar bracket on the axle? I can't see it very well behind the tie rod and drag link here.

If those brackets just bolt on to the knuckles, it should be pretty simple to swap those over to another axle.

Depending upon what is going on with the track bar bracket on the axle, it may or may not be possible to cut that off and move it over to another axle. But, you do have other options. JKS makes this over the axle track bar bracket that looks like it will work with your track bar. You may also search through the bracket selection on the web sites of Ruff Stuff, Ballistic Fabrication, Poly Performance, etc. They make all varieties of brackets. You may find one that will work pretty well for you.

An experienced shop should be able to build a bracket pretty easily too.

This is what I would do. Search Car-Part.com for a '97 to '00 XJ D30 (HP, no vacuum CAD, larger 297X u-joints). Swap over all the steering. Find an experienced 4x4 shop and discuss your track bar options - whether to use a pre-made bracket like JKS or if they can build a bracket for you.

I wouldn't even bother with the Wagoneer D44. Personally I don't think these are worth the work to swap in to an XJ/MJ. They are low pinion, wrong bolt pattern, and it will cost you a lot more in brackets, shop install, etc.

Willy

Well if Josh told ya it's bent, than their is no question about it. ;)

As Brent stated, you could always change the shafts in the D44 to a 6 lug pattern. The new Alloy chromo shafts are now being sold with both the 5 lug and 6 lug patterns on them so you can choose what combo you want.

If you do go with a Waggy D44, the easiest way to get it under your MJ is to call up Bob @ Treks (TNT Customs) and order the truss system for it. You'll thank yourself later for just going that route.

As for the steering stuff, sucks about Phat Jeeps. I'm not sure what to tell you about that.

They went ahead and found a D30, non-disco, smaller u-joints though. Hey, if I break them, then I have a reason to upgrade... The brackets do just bolt onto the knuckles. There was discussion of just swapping the whole knuckle from the bent axle to the new, because I still had good brakes in the front, but I'm not sure if he swapped the knuckles or just put the brackets on the new axle. They did have to re-make the track bar bracket though. I'll get some pictures when I get it back.

Phat Jeeps did really good work, but it usually took longer than expected and it was such a long drive up there, even for living on the west side of the city.

Thanks for the assistance guys.