my beater mj

Sorry I don't have any detailed photos. But I do have lots of trail pics.

I bought the truck when I was 17(11 yrs. ago) for $500. It was in good mechanical condition but had been wrecked in the front and had faded paint. It had a 4.0, BA/10 transmission, np231 transfer, dana 30 and 35 axles geared 3.08 all with about 140,000 miles. Ijust fixed the wrecked parts on front and used it as a daily driver, and weekend wheeler.

I done this for 7 or 8 years. When ever I broke something I would upgrade it for better wheelin. Broke spider gears in rear put in powertrac no-slip,broke ring and pinion went to 3.73 gears. Its amazing what these things will do just stock with lockers. Me and this truck became known for showing up all the boys that spent all thier money on lifts and big tires.

When the truck had 232,000 miles on it Idrove into too deep of water and ruined the motor,replaced it with an h.o. 4.0l. By this time I had put several trail scars on the truck so I bought a 90 model MJ in better shape for a daily driver, and the 88 became just a trail ride.

After coming off a big hill backward and hitting a tree destroying the bed of the truck, I Decided to do the flat bed ,lift, tires, and lockright the front.

The lift is a rusty's 4.5". I know they don't have the best reputation in the world but the front has worked great for me. The rear spring perches bent the 1st time I had it out though(replaced them with some from ruffstuff specialties, great stuff).

Some where in all this the trails got rougher, the body damage got bigger, and the lockright ripped 2 carriers in half.

The last time the carrier broke it took out everything in the front cover. I then went with the Detroit locker switched both ends to 4.10 gears and installed crome molly shafts.

After several people begging me to add some protection for myself(too late for the jeep)I added the roll bars to the back.

This little truck has been alot of fun and still far exceeds what most people think it can do based on looks and the little 32's. As most of you know the project is never done. I'm going to have to put stonger axles in eventually, I'm on my second set of Yukons in the front.I'm thinking HP44 and 9" but the plant I worked at the last 7 yrs. has closed and i'm going back to school. So the MJ will probably wheel as is for awhile.