4x4 shifter popping out

its not a comanche but close. on my 89 cherokee the lever for the four wheel drive keep popping out of the braket. the bolt for the braket are a pain to get to without cutting the carpet. i put it back twice now. any ideas on a fix?

its not a comanche but close. on my 89 cherokee the lever for the four wheel drive keep popping out of the braket. the bolt for the braket are a pain to get to without cutting the carpet. i put it back twice now. any ideas on a fix?

Check the bushings in the shift linkage. I think there is a bushing at each pivot point. These could be worn or missing.

If the motor mounts have never been replaced I can just about guarantee they are falling apart and need to be. This will allow the drivetrain to twist within the chassis and can contribute to the linkage popping out of the bracket. A bad transmission mount may do the same thing.

If none of these fix it, get rid of the stupid stock design. I think Novak and Skyjacker make replacement shifter linkages that mount to the drivetrain as it should instead of the body.

Willy