AW4 and RPM's

As most know I put in a new cluster and my speedo is not working. Pete wrote the other day he can judge speed by his RPM's. The highest my RPM gauge goes is around 2000, even at highway speed. Is this right or is my tach not working properly either?

As most know I put in a new cluster and my speedo is not working. Pete wrote the other day he can judge speed by his RPM's. The highest my RPM gauge goes is around 2000, even at highway speed. Is this right or is my tach not working properly either?

there are many different highway speeds.

i run around 2000 at 55mph.

does the tach go higher when you rev it?

and, why doesn't your speedo work? sorry i must have missed the thread. it's probably simpler to just fix the speedo issue...

I swapped in a new cluster from an 89 XJ. Everything works except the speedo. I pulled the speedo gear and reseated it, then I checked the speedo cable to make sure it was still in the speedo gear. I think I may have messed it up when I reset the odometer. The odometer does work.

Can I swap the speedo in from my old cluster?

I will rev it and see if it goes over 2000.

I swapped in a new cluster from an 89 XJ. Everything works except the speedo. I pulled the speedo gear and reseated it, then I checked the speedo cable to make sure it was still in the speedo gear. I think I may have messed it up when I reset the odometer. The odometer does work.

Can I swap the speedo in from my old cluster?

I will rev it and see if it goes over 2000.

if the old gauge cluster's back looks the same as the "new" one's back, you can just swap the speedo gauge. unscrew the front fascia from the cluster, unscrew two screws from the back directly behind the speedo gauge, and i think one screw in under the front fascia. swap them out, and call it a day.

if they're not the same in back, then unfortunately you're SOL until you replace the speedo cable, as the cable connectors vary between them.