PS pulley removal

I'm trying to get the PS pulley off to put on my new PS pump (and so I can send Bryan the old pump!). I borrowed the puller from Autozone, of course they didn't know how it works. When I figured out how it works, it DOESN'T work with these pulleys, because the angle is too steep. Anyone know how to get these off, or does anyone have a serp belt PS pulley lying around for a 2.5? :)

there are two common kits. One has a large clamp looking job that has some allen heads to clamp it. It sucks, it will only remove not install

Once comes with a metal ring, two metal half moons with grooves, and a half dozen diff sized threaded rods. This one works great. Basically you put the half moons around the center protrusion on the pulley, slide the round disc with the threaded hole in the groove that is in between them, out the metal ring on top to hold it together, and insert the threaded rod with the cone tip and start twisting.

To install the new one, you figure out which threaded rod fits your pump and screw it in, screw the bigger rod onto it, slide the pulley down, put the thrust washer on, then the disc with the threaded hole. Tighten it down and call it a day.

thats the best I can do with no pictures handy, if you don't have the second kit, go get it. The first is a waste of time.

there are two common kits. One has a large clamp looking job that has some allen heads to clamp it. It sucks, it will only remove not install

Once comes with a metal ring, two metal half moons with grooves, and a half dozen diff sized threaded rods. This one works great. Basically you put the half moons around the center protrusion on the pulley, slide the round disc with the threaded hole in the groove that is in between them, out the metal ring on top to hold it together, and insert the threaded rod with the cone tip and start twisting.

To install the new one, you figure out which threaded rod fits your pump and screw it in, screw the bigger rod onto it, slide the pulley down, put the thrust washer on, then the disc with the threaded hole. Tighten it down and call it a day.

thats the best I can do with no pictures handy, if you don't have the second kit, go get it. The first is a waste of time.

Thanks. I rented the second kit you describe, but the Autozone (OEM) kit half moons didn't fit right around the pulley and the puller, so I took it back. Got a puller from a local store with two arms that grab in the same place the half moon does, and a thrust screw. THAT got it off. Thanks for the reply!

Tom

Be sure that when you press it back on, the outer edge of the pulley sleeve is flush with the end of the shaft. If it is off by 1/8", you will have terrible belt noise ... ask me how I learned that one :oops: ;) :cheers: