ENGINE/TRANS out - a few questions

So it begins, pulled the drivetrain today. Only casualty is bending the passenger side motor mount brace. I loosened them up and it got caught on the way out. I 'spose I can bent that back into shape.

Questions:

1-The a/c only has 2 thin wires going to it, one had no connector or way to disconnect it, so I had to cut it. I figure I'm going to replace the compressor anyway (already did the condenser, drier, and low pressure switch - why stop now?). What was the right way to do this? LOL

2-I'm replacing all sensors. I didn't buy a new TPS, I guess I should, but I'm not sure if they come calibrated, or if you have to calibrate them?

3 - Going from 87 AX-5 trans to '00 AX-5 trans. The passenger side on my 87 has 2 threaded connectors. The forward one has a female pigtail, and the rearward one has 2 contacts, no wire. I assume one is for the backup lights. What's the other for? The 00 trans only has the one connector, the one with about 10" of wire and a female pigtail at the end.

4- The bottom of the charcoal cannister had a cut off pipe that just pointed straight down. What's supposed to be there? What does it connect to?

5- The engine stopped running, it was pretty beat, but it wasn't catastrophic. Just so I don't get the souped up 2.5 in there and have it not start, is there any way to test the ECM to make sure it's functional?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this right. I have some buddies coming in a couple of weekends to help with the install, I want to clean up the bay and repair/replace anything that's not right.

Thanks!

Tom :bowdown:

There is supposed to be a line (part of it looks like brake line, part like vacuum hose I believe and part rubber hose) that goes from the gas tank vent(s) to the charcoal canister. I don't know if that's the pipe you found or not. There should be 5 hard lines running along the frame rail between the engine and gas tank. Main brake line, bypass brake line, fuel feed line, fuel return line and fuel tank vent. At least, that's how my 87 4.0 is set up. I imagine the 2.5 is similar.

There is supposed to be a line (part of it looks like brake line, part like vacuum hose I believe and part rubber hose) that goes from the gas tank vent(s) to the charcoal canister. I don't know if that's the pipe you found or not. There should be 5 hard lines running along the frame rail between the engine and gas tank. Main brake line, bypass brake line, fuel feed line, fuel return line and fuel tank vent. At least, that's how my 87 4.0 is set up. I imagine the 2.5 is similar.

I took a break from it this weekend, but this line was to the bottom of the cannister. The two vacuum lines on top are there and intact, there was a broken off plastic line on the bottom, I don't know where it's supposed to come from. Anyone on the other questions?

Thanks

Tom

I was under my truck yesterday working on the exhaust, and I have the same line you're talking about. It comes straight out of the bottom of the charcoal cannister, goes about 6 inches and stops in mid air with a tapered end. Maybe it's supposed to be like that.