Steering prob

The other day, while I was braking to come off the freeway, my steering stiffened up momentarily.

It was while braking and only whilst turning the wheel very little this way and that.

Here is why I'm after advice...

I just had TeraFlex put on 4 new ball joints and a couple of tie-rob ends (Hey I needed them for inspection, and I needed a plate to park it at my place), but the Power Steering pump sounds a little bad.

My MJ is a 89 4.0L, manual. Anyone have any pointers, hear-say, or other general advice?

The other day, while I was braking to come off the freeway, my steering stiffened up momentarily.

It was while braking and only whilst turning the wheel very little this way and that.

Here is why I'm after advice...

I just had TeraFlex put on 4 new ball joints and a couple of tie-rob ends (Hey I needed them for inspection, and I needed a plate to park it at my place), but the Power Steering pump sounds a little bad.

My MJ is a 89 4.0L, manual. Anyone have any pointers, hear-say, or other general advice?

Sounds like excessive pressure building in the pump due to a internal restriction. The most pressure is generated at full lock, so did Teraflex mess with your steering stops? Check the fluid level first, make sure it's not milky (air) looking. If so, change out the fluid and bleed by filling and turning lock to lock several times to expel all the air. There is a pressure relief valve on the back of the fluid tank, but they seldom go bad. If this doesn't help, your pump is prolly fubar. You can rebuild them, but it's easier just to replace it. I had to do this not too long ago. :cry: