Random question

Yep, adjusting it by either lengthening or shortening the length of the antenna itself. You'll ideally want between a 1.5 and 3 SWR reading across all channels, but it's nearly impossible to tune "ideally", so tune for the channel you use most. 19 is a common one as it's the trucker channel. 

PFCLeist is correct.  You are tuning the antennas length. SWR is a ratio of transmitted power vs reflected power.  The power is reflected from the antenna back towards the radio because the impedance of the antenna and the radio output circuits don't match.  The procedure isn't difficult but does require as SWR meter.  It's far easier to explain by talking with someone.  PM me and I can walk you thru the procedure and the why's and why not's of what needs to be done.  I'm a ham, first licensed in 1978.

Larry

SWR is an acronym for Standing Wave Ratio. If your radio doesn't have a built-in SWR meter, Radio Shack used to sell one for around 20 bucks. I have no idea if Radio Shack sells anything useful today.

Where will you mount the radio and the antenna? One thing to try to avoid is using a very long antenna cable and then coiling the excess somewhere between the antenna and the radio. If you can' try to keep the antenna downlead as short and as straight as possible.

• 1 month later...