Aw4 Throttle Cable Differences

I ran across this thread on NAXJA. Did my best to hijack it. Thought better of it and decided to post my own question here.

http://naxja.org/for...d.php?t=1096768

Is there is a difference in the length (or other spec) of a Renix era Throttle cable (88 specifically) and a post Renix (94 specifically) Throttle cable.

I've adjusted my TPS and the dang thing runs and shifts fine. I've adjusted my TV cable thingie and throttle response is still fine. Just no kickdown when I punch it. So, I'm wondering if since the AW4 I swapped into my 88 MJ has a cable length issue.

Sorry, back to the question of the cable difference.

If I have a 94 AW4, and thusly a 94 cable...

...and a Renix throttle body...and the Renix bracket...

is the cable too long? or too short?

I could not find anything about the length of the cable...

There is about 1.5 inches of play from front to back stops of the cable when I turn the throttle.

Short story...do I need a Renix cable??

OK, so I've been searching the parts catalogs...Mopar, Crown, RockAuto, etc. for the numbers that Don supplied. Thanks. I also searched by part name and application.

The 52077578 is an Accelerator cable by all accounts (1997-2001) Looks nothing like what is attached to my 94 AW4 what's on my 1990 XJ

The 833503741 is a Throttle Valve cable (1987-1990) Looks just like the one I have. There is no mention of an in between part for 91-96.

The lame-o description says the Renix cable is 16" long, 16" wide...now I'm even more confused. I suppose I should head down to the dealer, see if they have a separate TV cable for each OR just pull one out a Renix at the yard.

OK, so I've been searching the parts catalogs...Mopar, Crown, RockAuto, etc. for the numbers that Don supplied. Thanks. I also searched by part name and application.

The 52077578 is an Accelerator cable by all accounts (1997-2001) Looks nothing like what is attached to my 94 AW4 what's on my 1990 XJ

The 833503741 is a Throttle Valve cable (1987-1990) Looks just like the one I have. There is no mention of an in between part for 91-96.

The lame-o description says the Renix cable is 16" long, 16" wide...now I'm even more confused. I suppose I should head down to the dealer, see if they have a separate TV cable for each OR just pull one out a Renix at the yard.

Sorry Charlie, I gave you the wrong part number for the HO throttle control cable (91 and up); I gave you the p/n for the accelerator cable. :doh: The correct p/n for the HO throttle control cable is 52077578 and it looks like the below, similar to the Renix cable but I don't know the length. I think you should measure the exact length of your cable, then go to a dealer who hopefully has both the 52077578 (HO) and 83503741 (Renix) cables in stock and compare.

110633.jpg

To recap: I have a 94 XJ AW4...put in to an 88 MJ Pioneer. I'm trying to find out if I need to use a Renix TV cable or an HO TV cable and/or if there is actually a difference length wise.

I have deduced that the cables are the same. Although I didn't actually whip it out and measure the thing (there's a sig line for you) I traced it along with a piece of rope...and then measured the rope...so from stem to stern I got 48.5". That's from the edge of where it enters the transmission to the very end of the cable. Margin of error...maybe an inch*.

The first P/N I got from Don (hornbrod) was 52077578...and the corrected P/N was 52077578...since they were the same number they both referenced the accelerator cable for a 97-01 XJ AND for a 91-96 XJ. The other P/N 83503741 was for a Renix Throttle Cable (aka "throttle valve cable") but that one says it just for 87 through 90.

*There are two factory crimped on cable stops on the cable at the throttle body connection. They are about 3" apart. One for minimum travel, and one for maximum travel. When I pivot the throttle lever on the TB to WOT there is about 1.5" more cable travel left, if I just pull the cable. Any ideas.

Could I cut the cable at the TB and slide in a cable stop taking up that 1.5" of slop/slack...or are all the cable stops the same (3" apart)? I was trying to attempt explaining this to the guy at the NAPA and he just looked off into space...I know you're staring into space right now too .

So, I guess the bottom line question is: Should the TV cable be tense or slack when I first rotate the throttle arm...is there 1.5" of slack before the cable stop comes into play and the TV cable starts to move? The TV adjustment is complete...the TPS specs out fine as well (if that makes a difference).

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/accelerator-cable-52077578.html

I'm not doubting you...I checked the catalog...I think THEY have it wrong. One is for the tranny...one is for the gas pedal. Waiting to check the two P/N's at the dealer on Monday...meh, maybe Tuesday. Thanks for your help as always.

Yes..I have it committed to memory. When I serviced the tranny before I put it in I did inspect the cable, it's connection, mounting and seal. I did the servicing nice and slow and methodical so's I didn't miss anything. I was surprised how simple the cable set up was, especially out of the truck. I also lubed it it up and reinstalled it. I routed it in the most direct route to come out just like my XJ is set-up. I'm using the TB from my 88 Manual tranny. I had to tap the holes for the cable bracket installation as there were holes, just no threads inside. It's set up exactly the same as my XJ now, all tight and good. I did NOT measure the cable or compare it to my XJ cable except for the connection ends...it all looked good.

Does anyone have a close-up picutre of a Renix throttle body and where it connects to the cable...that would most helpful. A picture is worth a thousand words. I don't think I have a thousand words in me today as I likely used up my word quota yesterday.

Thanks again.

OK so, here it is. Thank you SO much cruiser54. I can tell you without even looking at my Jeep that the two look different. Not different TB's...different adjustment on the adjuster. My slider is slid all the way out, this one is all the way in. The cable stops look further apart at first glance so, I'll go take a picture of what my set-up looks like and compare them.

photo courtesy of cruiser54

Son of a B.

Well, I found half my problem.

Here is the picture of the cable the way I "thought" I had adjusted properly.

Note the tag end of cable that "wasn't making contact" for the first inch or so. I had messed with this so many times...and I was sure it was adjusted properly...WRONG

Here is the picture of the shaft thingie pushed all the way back in to the collar

Note the "tag end" of cable that was there is now snugged up to the connector...no slack.

Here is the picture of the TV adjuster...adjusted properly

Just a bit of the way out....and just to make damn sure, I did it 3 times. Took it for a drive...WOW. I thought this thing was just a dog. Wrong again.

So now that I have the throttle and shifting response I expected (even better actually) I still don't have kickdown. Since I thought I was dead on with the cable...NOT...and I also thought my TPS has been fine all this time, that's my next thing to tackle. I hate the idea of actually buying a new TPS so I'll do the sweep test with an analog meter and then go back to the DMM for the usual setup. Thanks so much. I will sleep tonite...except for that pesky TPS