Bad Fuel Injector

I had a gut feeling that my engine wasn't running all six cylinders and when doing a run through I found out that the fifth cylinder from the front isn't working. There are all new spark plugs and wires and I'm getting spark to the spark plug in the cylinder and the compression is perfect but it's running extremely rich. I just put the spark plugs in three days ago and that one was black. I'm guessing either the fuel injector isn't getting a signal to it or it may be stuck open. Any thoughts?

Usually if there is no signal to the injector, there is no fuel being injected.

If you have a "noid light" that will tell you quickly if the injector is seeing a "fire" signal.

I like a bad plug or some other weak ignition component (ignition wire?) or a leaking injector or poor compression.

Usually incorrect fuel pressure will make them all run rich, so that would be less likely IMO.

Pull the rail & swap injector 5 with 2 and see what happens. It don't take to long to do. At least you'll know if that injector is really bad or its a wiring problem. I wouldn't spend any money on parts until you track the problem. M2C

The only one that seemed out of the ordinary was the one on the 5th cylinder. Thanks for the idea, I'll try swapping the injectors.

Another thing you can do is check the resistance across the injector terminals. The reading should be approx. 14.5 ohms. If not, the injector should be replaced. If okay, disco the coil wire and place a 12V test light across the injector terminals. The light should flash when cranking the engine.

The only one that seemed out of the ordinary was the one on the 5th cylinder. Thanks for the idea, I'll try swapping the injectors.

Another thing you can do is check the resistance across the injector terminals. The reading should be approx. 14.5 ohms. If not, the injector should be replaced. If okay, disco the coil wire and place a 12V test light across the injector terminals. The light should flash when cranking the engine.

Does that 14.5 ohms hold true for 90 renix injectors as well? cause if that's the case all my injectors read a solid 16.3 each one.

Does that 14.5 ohms hold true for 90 renix injectors as well? cause if that's the case all my injectors read a solid 16.3 each one.

That's okay for Renix injectors. They can vary from 12-20 ohms. It's good that all read the same too.