My first project car: A 1988 Comanche.

So the saga of the seized wheel hub continues. Ended up pressing the old u joint out, and grabbing a new outer stub from C&M gearworks, it's a 40611, so there shouldn't be any issues. 

But as with my luck with this front right assembly, there were issues. Bought some of the heavy duty Moog 365 u joints. Didn't fit. No worries. Installed them halfway into the inner axle, so I can't return them now. Rats. But not the end of the world. Pull those, order some FVP heavy duty 215-2060s. Same issue. When removing the caps, the base is too thick to allow one side to enter enough for the other to lower into the stub. It's close, but not quite cutting it. 

I've ordered some standard replacement Dana 5-260Xs to see if that fixes the issue. The old crusty ujoints fit just fine into the new 40611 stub, so I think it's something about the dimensions of the heavy duty ones that's throwing this whole thing off. 

Maybe the fellas were right about just upgrading these axle shafts to the new style while I've got it pulled....

IMG_4246.jpeg

IMG_4247.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Happy to report that the used outer axle stub I got worked like a charm. Didn't even take an advanced degree in trigonometry to fit the ujoints in....

I sadly didn't take as many photos as I'd like, because I was over this job. Truck had been up on jack stands for the better part of a month, so I was just anxious to get it down. But I did find that one of my hub mounting bolts was completely missing, and that those brake caliper 12 points are just terrible....

But everyone went back together in about half the time it took to tear it down. Haven't been able to drive it yet to see if that'll cure the death wobble, but the first stop is to tirediscounters to see what my options are for wheels/tires. 

IMG_4273.JPEG

IMG_4271.JPEG