belt side to side adj. help!

i have been having some serpentine belt issues. first off, reading some threads here, i have found the culprit to the sqeaking and figured out how to adjust tension. what i can't figure out is when i put the new belt on and tighten it, it starts moving to the side like its going to come off. if moves over 1 or 2 notches. then i loosen it and try again, to no avail. i can't find any thread on this.

:headpop:

It sounds like the harmonic balancer could be separating. The pressed on pulley has moved forward out of position by a groove or two.

When it separated on my xj it threw the belt twice in five miles before I realized the problem was the balancer had started to separate and was one groove width out of alignment. I took a razor knife and cut an outer rib completely off the belt and put the belt on staggered from top pulleys to the bottom balancer pulley. I ran it like that for 100 miles before I replaced the balancer the following weekend. I keep that belt for emergencies now and it got another employee home when the same thing happened to them in the parking lot. You could cut two ribs off if need be and stagger two grooves.tipshades.gif

It sounds like the harmonic balancer could be separating. The pressed on pulley has moved forward out of position by a groove or two.

which one is the harmonic balancer? looking at the pulleys, the one with the fan on it looks like it is out a couple of notches.

The balancer is on the front of the crankshaft. The pulley is mounted to the balancer with a rubber sleeve between the two. The front face of the pulley and the balancer should be flush with each other and the rubber may bulge out between the two. If the front face of the pulley is not flush with the face of the balancer then it has started to separate.

You better check that clutch fan pulley bearing too. The bearing may be going out and causing a misalignment or the bolt is loose. It should be easy to see. tipshades.gif

problem solved!!!

jamminz.gif

its funny how one problem could be a variety of things. i have been dealing with a squeky belt for a few weeks now. ive replaced the belt, used a can of belt dressing and adjusted the tension. about two weeks ago i changed the power steering pump. well it dawned on me i didnt worry about how much i pushed the pully on. i went out and checked it out and ended up pushing it on another 1/4-1/2 inch. fng newbie mistake :oops:

when will this learning curve straighten out?????