Off brand question.

Kyleinreallife

My step dad had to come pull me out this weekend in his 85 Toyota SR5 pick up.

So this question is for him. He was getting a sputtering under load. Checked the timing and it was forward. He adjusted and moved onto the plugs. One was fouled so he replaced, a brittle plastic connector broke off a sensor (I’m not sure which—it’s just below the tps). He took it for a test drive and said it’s got not power under 2k rpm now and has a hard time staying running at idle...anyone know yotas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact the timing was far advanced is worrisome. Did he time it correctly? Toyota had a two pins in a block that had to be shorted to kick the computer into timing mode. When it’s not in that mode it moves the timing around a little with rpm and the distributor advance. Should be something like 5 maybe degrees (maybe 8 to 10) with the two pins shorted.

Off the top of my head low power I think of a clogged cat converter. Bad MAF, O2 sensor, fuel pressure, distributor, timing chain, TPS

Not sure what plug broke I was looking at a picture of a 22re I can see the TPS but can’t see what’s underneath it. BTW those Toyota plugs just disintegrate over time. That 22re motor might just be at the end of its life, compression test might tell you something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The fact the timing was far advanced is worrisome. Did he time it correctly? Toyota had a two pins in a block that had to be shorted to kick the computer into timing mode. When it’s not in that mode it moves the timing around a little with rpm and the distributor advance. Should be something like 5 maybe degrees (maybe 8 to 10) with the two pins shorted.

Off the top of my head low power I think of a clogged cat converter. Bad MAF, O2 sensor, fuel pressure, distributor, timing chain, TPS

Not sure what plug broke I was looking at a picture of a 22re I can see the TPS but can’t see what’s underneath it. BTW those Toyota plugs just disintegrate over time. That 22re motor might just be at the end of its life, compression test might tell you something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good info thanks!

Motor was rebuilt ~5 years ago. Timing has been a little off ever since, countered with the distributor advance. We’re thinking the tps is finally going out and having a hard time compensating for the off timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk