Mashing AW4's together...

The 98 XJ I got for parts has a tranny with a spent input shaft. It's an AW4. My buddy has an AW4 out of a 96. I know 97+ XJ's, the ECU will pull tranny codes if the tranny is missing, or disconnected or something. Would just dumping a 96 AW4 into the MJ be fine, as in the ECM will not throw codes, as the tranny is present, and plugged in?

Reason I ask this is because within a few weeks, I will be putting the 98's engine, wiring, and interior and stuff into my MJ, and I want to make sure the trannies are compatible. If it's not just bolt and go, can I take the electronics and valve body of the one with the spent input shaft, and put those into the tranny with the good mechanical and good input shaft?

Or, should I rebuild the 98's tranny with the 96's input shaft in order to have a single good working AW4?

Are you swapping the transfer case too? Depending on the year of your MJ, it might have a 21 or 23 spline output from the tranny. Renix Jeeps had 21 splines, and high-outputs had 23 spline.