Changed Air Cleaner Assembly

Well I was a nice day out today in Northern Ontario, when Eugene Decided to change his air filter..

After having removed the Air filter I noticed amazing amounts of oil on the filter and pooled at the bottom of the assembly... so I disconnect all lines attaching to the assembly and began to clean the box out...after having cleaned it out of all oil.... I began to re-assembly it together.. I had read in the Maintenance Manual (MM) that oil in the air assembly would denote a faulty CCV so (with the engine off mind you) I removed the plug.. all the rubber was flaking away.. and not being anywhere near a parts store I put it back on and added it to the list of things to replace.. now after putting the assembly back into the bay and installed correctly (this is a visual correctiness)

The truck failed to start, during the start the engine temp needle fires over to the right rapidly... and the battery gauge is reading 13-14... so I checked to make sure all my line connections were in fact correct with the MM. I have exhausted all my other options so now I turn to you guys.. I have a feeling I forgot something really silly.. but any help would be awesome.. thanks guys

Eugene

1990 4.0L 4wd everything in her is basically stock from 1990

I think I may have disturbed the one going to the map sensor but I'm unsure (just pretend that I did so I can also check that to see if it is the issue).... and after a few tries to start it back up ... it's starting to slow down like the sound from the starter.. so I figured it wasn't getting enough juice from the battery.. so I hooked my girls car to it via booster cables and it made no difference.. this is a rather toublesome problem..

A few things that are easy to check:

1. Vacuum line should go from MAP sensor to bottom hole on side of TB. Is it in tact? Is the MAP sensor plugged in?

2. Check that your TPS and IAC sensors on the side of the TB are plugged in.

3. Check that the vacuum lines for your EGR system are in tact. Should go from intake manifold to side of solenoid, then from solenoid to a little plastic disk thing.

4. Vacuum line from intake to fuel pressure regulator?

I had very similar symptoms recently, and it was due to messed up EGR vacuum lines.

OK

1) yes it's intact and map sensor is plugged in

2) tps and IAC is plugged in

3) I don't really know where that system is located a picture would help out alot here

4) yes

there seems to be a vaccum line going from the top of the air cleaner to the bottom half of it to what appears to be some sort of a diaphram/bellows thing that opens up a hole to another duct that goes to the lower half of my engine... maybe it's not getting suction? I know this is also a noob question but how would I check for a spark.. I removed one of the plugs and I had my girl turn over the engine while I was watching the plug to see if a spark jumped the gap... and didn't see one (it was the #2 cylinder plug that I removed)

Also I would like to add that I have a 1992 4.0L H.O 4wd parts doner so if there is anything I can rob from there to help solve my problem let me know!!

OK

1) yes it's intact and map sensor is plugged in

2) tps and IAC is plugged in

3) I don't really know where that system is located a picture would help out alot here

4) yes

there seems to be a vaccum line going from the top of the air cleaner to the bottom half of it to what appears to be some sort of a diaphram/bellows thing that opens up a hole to another duct that goes to the lower half of my engine... maybe it's not getting suction? I know this is also a noob question but how would I check for a spark.. I removed one of the plugs and I had my girl turn over the engine while I was watching the plug to see if a spark jumped the gap... and didn't see one (it was the #2 cylinder plug that I removed)

Also I would like to add that I have a 1992 4.0L H.O 4wd parts doner so if there is anything I can rob from there to help solve my problem let me know!!

The EGR is on the drivers side. It consists of a solenoid mounted to the drivers side fender that has a couple vacuum lines and a plug going to it, then there is a valve thing that bleeds exhaust into your intake manifold.

The whole thing that diverts air into the airbox from over the exhaust wouldn't do it. Thats kind of....optional to help trucks warm up faster and stuff. I suppose there could be a leak there though.

Thats all you would do to check for spark. Just pull a plug, lay it on something metal, and crank. You can see a little spark in the plug.

If you aren't getting spark, I would suspect CPS. At the back of your intake manifold is a plug where one wire goes down towards the top of your tranny. For starters, unplug it, clean it out, maybe use some dielectric grease, plug it back in, and try it. I think CPS is one of the more common causes of no spark.

ok well I have done some more work.. on this problem..and I'm deffiently not geting a spark.. from the plug at all... so I took one of the leads off the dist cap and grounded it and tired to turn it over to see if I got a spark and Nothing....... I haven't had any expericence with the CPS.. and was wondering if I could take the CPS off of my 92 and it would be the exact CPS hook up and all that jazz.. cause if I could do that it would help me with my troubleshooting.. .... and Everyone feel free to join in on this conversation.. any lil bit of help would be nice.... And thank you Fendermb4 for your helpful advice

ok well I have done some more work.. on this problem..and I'm deffiently not geting a spark.. from the plug at all... so I took one of the leads off the dist cap and grounded it and tired to turn it over to see if I got a spark and Nothing....... I haven't had any expericence with the CPS.. and was wondering if I could take the CPS off of my 92 and it would be the exact CPS hook up and all that jazz.. cause if I could do that it would help me with my troubleshooting.. .... and Everyone feel free to join in on this conversation.. any lil bit of help would be nice.... And thank you Fendermb4 for your helpful advice

The CPS itself is kind of a pain to get to. It is on the top of your transmission housing. I suggest unplugging the harness and putting some dielectric grease in there, then trying it again before you replace it.

I would be surprised if the 92 CPS would work - and its enough of a pain to get at that I wouldn't want to do it 3 times for the $33.00 that a new CPS costs.

The CPS for the 92 has a different style connector (round vs flat) anyway try the old clean and grease technique on the existing connector first, they will usually work for a while after that.

Thanks everyone that replied.... the problem has been solved ...on it's own I figured that I would try and start it before I tried anything else and she started up no problem... which is weird enough. but just on the side of caution I decided to toss some grease on the mofo and call 'er good.

thanks again!!

Thanks everyone that replied.... the problem has been solved ...on it's own I figured that I would try and start it before I tried anything else and she started up no problem... which is weird enough. but just on the side of caution I decided to toss some grease on the mofo and call 'er good.

thanks again!!

go get a spare CPS, put it in the toolbox with a few long extensions and basic sockets.

if it fails somewhere you'll have to change it out have it towed.

One of the symptoms is usually an intermittent stall or no start, so it may be on its way out.