new UCA bushings

got some new moog UCA bushings...my UCAs are terrible.

what's the best way to put them in? jack the truck up and let the front axle droop? I'm guessing that's the case...cause then i can jack the axle back up when i bolt them back in...

Just speculating as I have not done mine, but from what I read, some people use the Harbor Freight u-joint ball-joint tool with a custom made cup (old large socket?). Not sure how best to raise the truck but I do know thats a tight space to work in up there. I had a hard time just sticking my melon-head up there to inspect them.

put the truck on jackstands and let the front axle droop out of the way.

Support it with the floor jack, after you disconnect the shocks and the swaybar links.

Pull one UCA at a time, otherwise you'll be fighting the axle to get it rotated back into place.

replace bushings.

the bushings are fun, there will be much cursing. Put the new bushings in the freezer overnight. That way the rubber hardens, and shrinks a bit, so you can press it in easier. Lots of lube needed.

put the truck on jackstands and let the front axle droop out of the way.

Support it with the floor jack, after you disconnect the shocks and the swaybar links.

Pull one UCA at a time, otherwise you'll be fighting the axle to get it rotated back into place.

replace bushings.

the bushings are fun, there will be much cursing. Put the new bushings in the freezer overnight. That way the rubber hardens, and shrinks a bit, so you can press it in easier. Lots of lube needed.

now is the time to let you guys know i have a big standup press in the shop :D

so removing the bushings and putting the new ones in = simple, not a problem.

why do i have to remove the swaybar links? and does the axle really need to droop? can't I just take one out and put the new one in?

the only thing i've ever done with the CA's and axle is put them in...and at the time, they were all connected to the chassis, lift, seperate, slide, bolt.

You will find the least amount of dificulty if you do this at the axles normal operating height. trouble is this dosent give you as much room to work.

Your stand up press will be nice for the frame end but will not help on the axle end. Even then you will find the CA wants to bend before it releases the bushing.

These can be a real bugger...they can also be a breeze. I hope yours are a breeze!!

I have to do this on my pops XJ...I don't even bother anymore...only the axle bushings, thats all I will change. The complete CA is just too cheap to bother with changing them!! I just paid 67$ for a set of four shipped. thats brand new CA's..all of them!! I only need to press in/out the two on the axle.

CW

i'll torch the ones out of the axle. i don't need to deal with trouble.

then i guess i'll hammer in the axle ones with a socket.

and perhaps I will reinforce the frame end of it a bit before i press the ones out...

hmm. we'll see when i'm working on it.

are you saying at normal ride height that I could do 1 at a time with the truck on the ground?

are you saying at normal ride height that I could do 1 at a time with the truck on the ground?

Generally speaking thats where they should come out the easiest. Least amount of "pull" and aligning up problems. Beware if you need to "thread" a bolt out with a wrench/wratchet. Its likely it will be ruined.

I put the truck up on tall jack stands at the frame rails. At least high enough so the axle will dangle with tires/shocks/track bar/discos off. the jack the axle back up to approximate ride height. Support with additional jack atands and begin work. If you run into problems, jack it back up (axle only) until binding is gone.

My MJ was about 15 mins work using this meathod. A friend swapped in some adj LCA's and spent half the day on it untill I arrived and set him up like this. Then it was about an hour to finish the job.

Good luck,

CW

Well.....How did things go???

CW

I swapped some today myself!!

My pops project XJ had some obnoxious vides and banging when hitting the brakes and turning. It was the bushings in the CA's. They where MAJORLY shot!!! Found a bad bolt as well. This was the one form the top of the axle, UCA bolt.

We just purchaced brandy new units form Quadra tec. Spent 64$ on the complete set.

Here is a shot of the drivers side all done:

We only got the drivers side done. He wanted to play golf today instead of finish. :eek: ;) Hope yours went as easily as ours!!

CW

nope, i'm holding off for the moment...the left side exhaust manifold that I made is obnoxiously in the way and doesn't allow me to pull the driver's side bolt out, much less get a wrench in there to turn it :(

so i gots ta figure out what i'm-a gonna do