Boostwerks Shifter Linkage Upgrade Or New Conversion Install

http://www.boostwerksengineering.com/-Transfer-Case_c_13.html

These are some tips for installing this linkage upgrade whether you are replacing the factory pieces or installing a shifter & linkage as a part of a 2wd to 4wd conversion. The included instructions are pretty straight forward and the install is easy. Removing the factory parts takes longer than the install. I spent less than 30 minutes on this swap. This linkage was less expensive than sourcing factory XJ/MJ linkage parts and works better as well. 

#1 Start with your t-case in 4-lo for easier access to the range lever #14

#2 pop the linkage #13 off of the range lever #14 first

#3 remove the plate #1 that holds the shifter #3 to the floor and pull the assembly up to pop off the linkage #11 that attaches to the shifter itself

#4 Remove shifter #3 and use this hole to access the two nuts that mount the bracket #9 to the t-case. A third bolt attaches it to the tranny but it is easily accessed from below

#5 you have to be able to pull up your carpet in order to access the 4 holes that hold the tunnel side shifter linkage mount #15. I cheated and slit the carpet & backing with a razor knife and then used tape on the back to put the slit back together afterwards. My MJ is not in great shape and the that may not be the way to go for some others. I also had to cut the carpet for the shifter anyway as mine was installed during a 4wd conversion

#6 attach the new linkage to the shifter #3 before re-attaching the shifter to the body. The new linkage will mount on the driver's side of the shifter. 

#7 If you are installing the shifter for the first time as part of a 4wd conversion then the hole is already there for the shifter. #1 is replaced with a cover plate that just needs to be removed & discarded. Attach the linkage to the driver's side of shifter #3 before mounting the shifter to the body

#8 you can fine tune the length of the new linkage rod to get the t-case to shift as easily as possible. 4lo can be more difficult to engage on a 231 and it is just inherent to the way that its low range engages. The owners manual suggests having the vehicle moving 2-3 MPH to make the shift and that is not practical while installing a shifter.

You still have to source the shifter itself #3 from an MJ/XJ but the pain in the butt factory linkage & bracket need not be sourced.

(Please do not make "for sale" or alternate product posts in this thread.)