Stock exhaust stud question...

I have changed these in old cars with cast exhaust manifolds... but never on a "header" style manifold. Those where brass and threaded in, unsure exactly how these attach....

The studs, at the flange from the header to the exhaust pipe, I mean...

My MJ exhaust was rattling again. So I got under expecting one of the clamps os the new muffler to be loose. To my suprise they where all tight. But the hanger was shot. So I put in a new one and pulled the muffler up about a half and inch for good measure.

Started it up and still had a rattle. It was the pipe itself, it was loose at those studs/bolts. I sprayed them with good penetrating oil, as I always have. and carefully tightened. the rar one wouldnt tighten and is now stripped. The stud is VERY rusty. I was able to use a new nut and get it somewhat tight. but it needs to be replaced.

It FEELS like it may be a hex head but you cannot see it.

My question is is this stud, threaded/ Pressed or welded in there...

CW

I just replaced the bolts on mine and it loosened up again, I ended up just finding a good nut to go on the end to tighten it up. I think the original nuts are welded to the flange but the one of mine has no threads left in it. It has held with the extra nut for about 7000 miles with no problems.

CWLONGSHOT, Manifold studs are really bolts that have a splined shoulder that are pressed into flange. The head of the bolt/stud is "short", therefore next to impossible to get wrench on, cut it off if loose in flange or you can remove them w/punch & hammer. They are 3/8's course thread (14?), but any 3/8 bolt grade 5 or up will do the job. Use same grade nut w/anti-seize for replacement.

mjcanoe

CW, DON'T use brass, it is one of the "stickiest" metals out there, like copper, it retains & transfers heat better then what is now offered as exhaust hardware. Used to be used many years past, but w/increased operating temps. of modern engines, has been faded out for the most part. Anyway brass is definately softer then then the flange on exhaust header.

mjcanoe

CW, DON'T use brass, it is one of the "stickiest" metals out there, like copper, it retains & transfers heat better then what is now offered as exhaust hardware. Used to be used many years past, but w/increased operating temps. of modern engines, has been faded out for the most part. Anyway brass is definately softer then then the flange on exhaust header.

mjcanoe

good to know, glad I asked.

87manche, i was raised in the state of "what's round on both ends,but high in the middle". N/E around Alliance, used to be rubber band capital of the world. Got more speeding tickets there then in the 30 years I've been gone. Must be old age.

mjcanoe

87manche, i was raised in the state of "what's round on both ends,but high in the middle". N/E around Alliance, used to be rubber band capital of the world. Got more speeding tickets there then in the 30 years I've been gone. Must be old age.

mjcanoe

I'm in ashland, I know right where alliance is.