How To Install An S-10 Rear Bumper On Your Comanche

I just installed a 1991 S-10 pick up rear bumper on my 1988 Comanche. Why? because I had one and it was cheap.

Image Not Found

It could be made to fit a little closer to the body by trimming the front edge of the bumper at each end.  Start by removing the four bolts that hold the bumper to the frame extensions. I had to cut mine off (typical Canadian rust).  Then centre the new bumper and mark where to cut a slot in each frame extension. These are needed to clear the old mounting flanges of the S-10 bumper.  Once you have the slots cut drill two holes on each side through the top plate of the bumper into the frame extensions.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I re-used the S-10 bumper mount bolts and had to add two washers on each bolt between the top of the frame and under the bumper to clear the front lip of the bumper. If you want it to sit higher up, closer to the tailgate, use longer bolts and more spacer washers.  You could build an "L" bracket to connect the new mount holes to the S-10 bumper mounts if you intended to use the bumper for any towing. My MJ already has a proper tow hitch, so my bumper only needs to be protection for the rear of the truck.

In my case it was good to drill the top of the frame extensions, since one was starting to have a bit of a rust problem

Image Not Found

• 4 weeks later...