Rear end growl...????

Hopefully this isn't your case, but about 4 years back my 88 MJ did this as well. Was going down the road at about 60 when the back end started growling, a couple miles later the whole rear end gave out on me. Found out that the gears were cracked for a while, and they finally gave up and broke into a few different pieces.

The growl is most definitely a cry for help from your rear end. My 88 started to moan and growl, and it turned out that my posi-gears had cracks and come apart and then pieces had shot into my pinion. The debris settles in the bottom of the differential housing. I had the rear re-built.

Don't be skimpy on replacing anything. Some mjs have different sealing systems in the rear some have O-rings and then some have normal seals in them. If you pull your axles and you find that you have a big rubber O-ring, pull the bearing thats behind it off and replace the O-ring along with the bearing. Pulling the bearing off the axle is the only way you can replace the O-ring seal.

Once a bearing is pulled off you can usually reuse it, but there is a lot of stress that is put on a "Pressed on bearing" when you remove it. All the techs that i know who have repaired rear ends always replace the axle bearings, but if the customer asks to have the bearings re-seated the car is back pretty soon after to have the bearings replaced.

And talk to people about gear lube and gear lube additives for your rear -end.

After I had finished reinstalling my rear end and refilling it, i had just about $600 into it. But if you are having a garage do all the work and you're not just outsourcing the re-build, then expect to pay A LOT MORE.

i hope this helps.