Dash Lighting

I tried to search out this but wasn't able to find anything. Are the gauges in the dash back lighted or is there a separate light for it? I was driving really early the other morning and I turned on the headlights and there was no way for me to see my speed or anything. The previous owner seems to have drilled a hole in the are above the speedometer and wired what seems to be one of those lights that lights up the license plate, and wired it into an on/off switch. Just wanting to know before I try to put something less obtrusive in or if I should just trouble shoot and get things back to normal.

They are sidelit -- there are about half a dozen little push-in bulbs scattered around the gauge cluster, between the gauges so you can't see them behind the opaque areas on the bezel. To replace them you pull the cluster, rotate each socket a quarter turn, and they pop right out.

Don't overlook the fact they are on a dimmer. Rotating the headlight knob when the lights are on controls the brightness, and all the way in one direction (don't recall which, because it has been years since I played with mine) turns them off completely. If the dimmer part of the headlight switch is bad, you won't have dash lights, and the only fix for that is a new switch (which isn't that expensive).